Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #31  
i just looked through our 2020 outlander manual and couldn't find anything about towing it. So I posted that very question on the can-am forum. Having said that, every ATV and UTV we used for work eventually broke in the field and was towed back in to the shop. Obviously while the gear box was in neutral. I should add that when I'm working on our 6x6 Outlander and need to move it a tad, I just put it in neutral and push it.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #32  
I think of it like OK in emergency like getting stuck or breakdown for short trip but not something to due regularly which I assume the OP was considering..... but just my 2 cents.... we all be free to do what we want with our stuff I guess as long as we not hurting others or breaking any laws...
kinda like the discussions on modifying roll bars or what type of grease to use.

Cheers.
Absolutely. Well stated.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #33  
Was it pricey?
I bought it back in 2006. Don't remember the price, but what ever it cost it has been worth it!

Used it hauling hay for many years with 4 round bales on it, hooked behind the gooseneck that had 8 bales.

Last edited:
   / Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #34  
I bought it back in 2006. Don't remember the price, but what ever it cost it has been worth it!

Used it hauling hay for many years with 4 round bales on it, hooked behind the gooseneck that had 8 bales.
You are very good at value buying. Has less to do with cost. More to do with utilization. 👍

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #35  
   / Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #36  
   / Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #37  
i just looked through our 2020 outlander manual and couldn't find anything about towing it. So I posted that very question on the can-am forum. Having said that, every ATV and UTV we used for work eventually broke in the field and was towed back in to the shop. Obviously while the gear box was in neutral. I should add that when I'm working on our 6x6 Outlander and need to move it a tad, I just put it in neutral and push it.
Nothing in Yamaha manuals I have either, my pioneer 500 has a completely different style drivetrain not a belt driven cvt, curious what that says, if anything.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #38  
The guys on the can-am forum so far, have no idea why you can not tow your machine out, while in neutral.

Every modern atv, utv machine I'm familur with have cvt drive have a belt that is engaged, at all times. They use an independent one to engage the drive system.

------------------------------for example-----------------------------------------------
Can't think of a single thing wrong with that. I mean, being in 2wd is preferable, but even if it's broken in 4, not that big a deal that I can think of. Obviously, neutral as mentioned, and a kinetic strap or tow rope over a chain/cable. But I mean, if it's gotta get outta the woods, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Last edited:
   / Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #39  
The guys on the can-am forum so far, have no idea why you can not tow your machine out, while in neutral.

Every modern atv, utv machine I'm familur with have cvt drive have a belt that is engaged, at all times. They use an independent one to engage the drive system.

------------------------------for example-----------------------------------------------
Can't think of a single thing wrong with that. I mean, being in 2wd is preferable, but even if it's broken in 4, not that big a deal that I can think of. Obviously, neutral as mentioned, and a kinetic strap or tow rope over a chain/cable. But I mean, if it's gotta get outta the woods, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
I'm still neutral in this discussion.

But for clarity, the OP isn't talking about a broken machine. And neither were I or Mapleleaf. Him and I simply posted what the manual says.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #40  
To be clear I only stated my actual experiences and possible problems I've had with towing something that has a cvt drive system. I could drift like a 5ft snow drift and tell experiences and problems I've had towing awd and 4wd cars but won't. Lol.