Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I WILL be getting a UTV after the first of the year if it means I have to sell a kidney or get a second job. I think it will increase my productivity on my acreage by a big margin. Right now I have to take the slow tractor or walk the 3/4 of a mile to get from one end of my property to the next. Not the end of the world, but when on a time crunch some of the things I need to do suffer because I just physically don't have time to walk it or drive the tractor.

That brings me to my question. I work alone a lot on the property, I think LOTS of times it would be handy to have the tractor AND the UTV with me. That got me to thinking... why not make a tow bar similar to what you see behind RV's to flat tow a car. That way I can quickly hitch up the UTV behind the tractor and tow it with me rather than walk back up to get it and then have to do that all over again when I get done.

Lots of times I need to run back up to the truck or and outbuilding this would expedite that greatly. Has anyone done this or thought about it?

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #2  
I see no problen with you doing that. Might have to make you own tow hitch for whatever UTV you get.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #3  
I have no knowledge of doing this. But I have concerns. A lot depends on the drive system of the UTV. When you have purchased one I suggest contacting a dealer and talking to the mechanic about towing. My RTV manual says NOTHING about towing. I would not tow it without more information. Could be an expensive lesson......

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #4  
I have no knowledge of doing this. But I have concerns. A lot depends on the drive system of the UTV. When you have purchased one I suggest contacting a dealer and talking to the mechanic about towing. My RTV manual says NOTHING about towing. I would not tow it without more information. Could be an expensive lesson......
I've never seen a UTV that didn't have a neutral postion in the tranny. We towed them that way.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #6  
Most of them are also belt driven with variable sheave pulleys,
with the engine off most of the driven clutches are wide open and the belt will fall down and lay between the plates.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #7  
I've never seen a UTV that didn't have a neutral postion in the tranny. We towed them that way.
Yep. My RTV does as well. But even in neutral if I try to push it I feel powertrain resistance in the HVT.

To be safe, I'd inquire/investigate.

Really surprised my RTV manual doesn't address that. Has anyone else read their manual in search of "towing" information?

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor
Yes, a thorough investigation on towing a UTV first. But like Arly said, I don't see it being a problem for 1 mile or so at tractor speeds.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #9  
Yep. My RTV does as well. But even in neutral if I try to push it I feel powertrain resistance in the HVT.

To be safe, I'd inquire/investigate.

Really surprised my RTV manual doesn't address that. Has anyone else read their manual in search of "towing" information?
There is something in the manual. You have to release something to release hydro pressure to tow it so it will freewheel. Sorry I can't remember what you need to do.....I've never had to tow mine so didn't pay much attention to it.
If I was home I would scan the page in my manual. If you want I can get it next Tuesday.

/ Flat Towing UTV to on property job site with tractor #10  
OP did not say he was getting a hydrotatic tranny machine. Vast majority of atv's and utv's are not.

Last edited: