Flail Mower Recommendations

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #21  
I’ve got the Titan 86” offset flail mower. Parts can be an issue as everything is coming from China, but customer service has been superb. At the time I bought it a few years ago the mower cost 1/6th what my 15’ Bush Hog cost, chopped just as easily thru heavy brush and saplings as the batwing and did so with a much nicer cut. Of course I’m waiting months now for replacement hammers, so there’s that.
Have you tried Flailmaster for your hammers or blades? I suggest calling them vs trying to use their online catalog. Good prices and friendly helpful service.

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #22  
I've reached out but haven't heard back from them.
I admit I havnt tried to contact them. So I can't speak for how well they answer. I bought from local dealer and he got it and said parts would be no problem. Havnt had to order anything as of yet

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #23  
We'd recommend adding the Ibex brand to your list for consideration. Ibex flails are made by Del Morino, which is Italian. They generally offer much heftier cutting strength for the same cutting width compared to the Chinese brands. Titan, Betstco, Woodmaxx, and Nova are all Chinese made. Many of the Chinese flails will only boast a maximum material thickness of 1" with the heavier hammer blades and only recommend the Y blades for grass. Ibex/Del Morino machines will cut up to 2" thick material with the Y blades and 3" thick material with hammers. That's a big difference. Tractor Tools Direct stocks tons of parts for these machines and we're way better at keeping everything in stock (though it's impossible to be perfect with how slow freight moves these days!). Here's a link in case you'd like to check them out: Flail Mowers | Tractor Tools Direct | Compact Equipment for Small Farms. You can also give us a call at 260-225-3429.
I've been using my HD Bestco with hammers and its been easily chewing thru 2" plus brush without issue, it's been working great.

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #24  
JustinE
I’m sending you a PM about my Titan hydraulic offset flail mower.
Please Update your profile with your approximate location.

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #25  
Hello - 1st post. Diddo on Bestco HD 84" hammer knife mower. I'm finishing up my second season with it. I did have to replace the belts after running the hammers into the dirt too much. Rookie move. Bestco sent them right out. It takes 3 belts which are easy enough to change. The fine print advises first time flail mower operators to buy the replacement belts with the mower. Decent machine can mount offset which is great for getting close to fence lines etc.

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #26  
Hello - 1st post. Diddo on Bestco HD 84" hammer knife mower. I'm finishing up my second season with it. I did have to replace the belts after running the hammers into the dirt too much. Rookie move. Bestco sent them right out. It takes 3 belts which are easy enough to change. The fine print advises first time flail mower operators to buy the replacement belts with the mower. Decent machine can mount offset which is great for getting close to fence lines etc.
My original belts lasted only a few hours regardless of proper tension and adjustment turning into an overcooked gooey mess, they were just crappy belts. I hit my local NAPA and swapped out to Kevlar belts that I have yet to re-adjust after numerous hours of use over the last year even after several inspections.

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #27  
I think the Nova is out of the question. To get to where it can handle the same size material would cost a bit more.

What Novatractor are you looking at? I went with Novatractor MFZ because it had the biggest baddest hammers I found. And so far it's been a beast. And compared to a Heavy Duty Betstco with hydro offset, it's $800 less. At one point they were on par, but Betstco seems to be raising prices faster than Nova Tractor. The Novatractor also weighs over 100 pounds more than Betstco, for whatever that's worth. Mine is a 155 and I drive it with 28HP at the PTO just fine.

Hammers are 3+ pounds each. Not for golf course use, but they munch up the rough stuff good.
flailmower.jpg

Nova Tractor MFZ heavy duty flail mower series

68" Cut Heavy Duty Hydraulic Offset Flail Mower, FH-EFGCH175KITT | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:

/ Flail Mower Recommendations
What Novatractor are you looking at? I went with Novatractor MFZ because it had the biggest baddest hammers I found. And so far it's been a beast. And compared to a Heavy Duty Betstco with hydro offset, it's $800 less. At one point they were on par, but Betstco seems to be raising prices faster than Nova Tractor. The Novatractor also weighs over 100 pounds more than Betstco, for whatever that's worth. Mine is a 155 and I drive it with 28HP at the PTO just fine.

Hammers are 3+ pounds each. Not for golf course use, but they munch up the rough stuff good.
View attachment 757811

Nova Tractor MFZ heavy duty flail mower series

68" Cut Heavy Duty Hydraulic Offset Flail Mower, FH-EFGCH175KITT | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:
The MFZ195 is what they recommended. But, they said it can only handle up to 2" while the Betstco and Titan are saying 3".

There's also one sold by Victory tractor I'm looking at. I need to follow up with them. Woodmaxx can't tell me the cut diameter their machine can handle.

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #29  
The MFZ195 is what they recommended. But, they said it can only handle up to 2" while the Betstco and Titan are saying 3".

There's also one sold by Victory tractor I'm looking at. I need to follow up with them. Woodmaxx can't tell me the cut diameter their machine can handle.

Material diameter claims are a bit relative. Old pine branches smash up a lot easier than oak. Look at the hammers on the Nova vs the hammers on the others and see which one you think is gonna smash stuff better. I ran over an 8 inch stump lurking in tall grass. I certainly don't recommend it and it made some awful noise, but I don't have to worry about that stump anymore because the flail smashed it to bits. That said, it's a mower, not a masticator.

/ Flail Mower Recommendations #30  
Count the number of hammers too when comparing mowers.
More hammers are going to give a better cut.
I think the Bestco HD had the most, the biggest, Hammers.
I want to say it has 32 hammers but don't quote me on that.

I had some Eucalyptus tree branches 1-3 inches laying down from a big branch a wind storm took down. A couple of passes and there was not much left of them. There is a finish bar behind the roller that keeps coming loose. Not sure how much it is really doing, maybe I'll just take it off or weld it on next year?

Last edited: