Buying Advice First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #21  
If you don't get a cab, you at least need a top to protect your skin from hours of sun exposure in the years to come.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #22  
That's a good looking tractor and one heck of a tiller!

The tiller is very heavy duty. Ran 5 acres through it last year. That's mainly what the tractor is for around here

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #23  
Getting yourself to wear hearing protection consistently is a lot cheaper than a cab. I leave earmuffs on the tractor and put them on while the glow plugs are going. But there are other reasons for a cab.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #24  
Pretty sure the Branson line will be going away. If TYM has a machine that is similar specs, it will more than likely can the Branson machine. I would just look at TYM personally.

TYM
Branson

I can see no reason why they would keep both around in the next 5 years, can anyone else?

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #25  
By the time I realistically get into making hay, I'll have two sons at hay throwing age. Round bales aren't super high priority.

My biggest thought with the cab is honestly health and safety. I'm prone to burning in the sun and would prefer to have my ears and lungs fully functioning as I age. Realistically I'm not going to consistently wear hearing protection or a mask when in heavy dust, and I'm known for forgetting sunscreen. The warm and dry are just gravy to me. I also have little use for the tractor in the woods, so I don't need to worry about cab damage from above.

Haying is either very expensive to get into (new equipment) or very time consuming if you buy used (always baler repairs). If you can find a lightly used square baler that might work for you...but man are they expensive. Do a cost analysis before purchase.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #26  
If you don't get a cab, you at least need a top to protect your skin from hours of sun exposure in the years to come.
My top looks something like this:
1000001828.jpg

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #27  
Pretty sure the Branson line will be going away. If TYM has a machine that is similar specs, it will more than likely can the Branson machine. I would just look at TYM personally.

TYM
Branson

I can see no reason why they would keep both around in the next 5 years, can anyone else?
The T554 uses a Yanmar engine. That one is more likely to go away, imho.

The T574 and 5520 are the closest cousins. If I were TYM, I would get the engineers and marketing guys together and merge the best of those two models (and their non-turbo siblings) into a new model. They already share a power train.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?

TYM
Branson

This is a real concern. That said, I feel TYM bought Branson for the Kukje engine. The TYM 554 runs a Yanmar which makes me suspect both may be discontinued for a later combined, but new, tractor in this horsepower range.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #29  
I have a 2007 Branson 6530, 4wd with loader and cab, I bought new and one of the reasons was the Cummins licensed engine (now described as the Kukje engine)....all mechanical. Not sorry.

Recently I was looking for another tractor, used, in the same or slightly larger HP and found used TYMs with a couple of different engines which were built prior to the Branson buy-out. The engines were first class, just not Cummins licensed (Yanmar and Perkins). Thought seriously about pursuing them but being fairly new and distant, I looked for something older and closer which I found in a Case-IH 895 with cab.....cheaper and delivered.

I run a 5x4 round baler that produces at least an 800# bale (weighed one once) and the 65 HP (57 PTO) is necessary for running that baler. A 4x5 bale is said to be heavier if considering that. Square balers have low HP requirements and a 35 HP tractor can get that work done.

The cab with AC and heat and both are nice baling and delivering bales in the winter. 4 WD is pretty common on newer tractors these days and I had a 100 HP JD 4230, 2WD having bought implements for it to use and I can use them with my Branson in midrange gears as was the case with the JD.

Open station tractors are usually easier for a lot of get-on, get-off work and of my 7 tractors (25-84 HP) most are open station.

I bought my farm as a city boy in 1979 and I am still learning something new just about every time I do something. Maybe that's why I like farming.....not boring.....something different every time you attempt something and problems require thought to get solved.

Good luck on your pursuit.....and be safe......don't take chances.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #30  
This is a real concern. That said, I feel TYM bought Branson for the Kukje engine. The TYM 554 runs a Yanmar which makes me suspect both may be discontinued for a later combined, but new, tractor in this horsepower range.

Here is to hoping they keep the 20 series Good features. heavier castings and axle support, 8 Lugs, double shear front axle hubs, (with staked nut retained outer stub axle, instead of a circlip), steel fenders and hood, etc.

I hope TYM does not "Improve" on these Branson designs.

Last edited: