Buying Advice First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #11  
I'm in northeast PA. and my situation is almost exactly like yours. I have 25 acres, a mix of woods & fields, and maintain 1.25 miles of private gravel road.

My first tractor was way too small but for $$ reasons, I bought a 17HP Kubota B7100HST with FEL & hoe. I made do with the machine, and although it took more time, it did the mowing, plowing, excavating and grading jobs for almost 20 years.

I've since worked my way up to owning two tractors, a L6060HSTC with cab and an open station MX5800HST for doing woods work.

I've never heard anyone complain about having too much HP so IMO, get something in the 50-60HP range. A cab is very nice for heat and A/C during weather extremes, but can be an issue when working along tree lines or in the woods.

Don't forget a FEL plow and stone rake for maintaining the road and doing landscaping.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choices!

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #12  
Excellent tractor, but I've got to suggest you also look at the Kioti NS5310 or 6010.

When I was buying it came down to Branson and Kioti for me; Kioti edged out on ergonomics and dealer in my case.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #13  
I have the T574 cousin. I liked the additional features, myself. Uses the exact same engine as the 5520. No complaints so far.

Check into the dealers.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #14  
Pick a brand associated with a dealership network very close-by, and one with a likelyhood of existing in 20 years. That leaves just a couple.

In my case, I have 4 JD dealerships within 15 miles, a Rural King, and several TSCs. I have a 35 HP CUT and do my own hay with a square baler, 9' haybine mower, and a 56 bale pick-up stacker wagon. Plenty of power for all this plus can run a pto generator for all needs.

I'd look at used machines from an estate sale because they most likely run, perform, and are already depreciated.

As for options, a machine without a loader is not going to be very useful to your cause. A Q.A. implement system is a must for bucket, fork, and snow plow ease of operation. I never saw a need for a cab and still don't. Make sure it's sized for all adult members of your family to be comfortable with. Yes, there is 'too small' and also a 'too big'. Go sit on some to see what I mean.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?
I will certainly check out the Kioti's. My dad has a BX Kubota and I almost went that route a few months back, but I'm certain I would have been disappointed in the capabilities of a tractor that small with my property.

I live out in the boonies, so not much of anything is closer than 45 minutes. If I were buying today, I'd likely get the 5520 from a TYM/Branson and McCormick Dealer an hour and twenty away. My FIL bought a McCormick from them, which they bought back after he passed. They treated my MIL very kindly.

The other is a Kioti Dealer approximately 45 minutes away. That dealer has three locations and also sells TYM/Branson and Mahindra. I stopped at their location an hour and 45 minutes away when I happened to drive by, to check out the TYM's. They service all brands that they sell at all locations.

We also have a JD and a Massey, both about 45 minutes out. We also have a Rural King 30 minutes down the road, but the financing terms effectively make their tractors more expensive than a similarly equipped TYM or Kioti.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #16  
Also, RK, though made by TYM do NOT have the Kukje mechanical injected diesel. They are common rail/ECM. RK also has a bad service reputation for their tractors. Id go straight to TYM

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #17  
The 5520 chassis is the same as the 4820. They are really compact and heavy. It's about a foot shorter in length than the TYM 494, but the same weight. Without the tiller it's around 5000 pounds. A chunky bugger indeed. Hydraulics are very fast as well. I was reminded yesterday as I did a little loader work.
IMG_20240229_164557.jpg
IMG20240304152543~2.jpg

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #18  
I can tell you 42 gross hp doesn't run an old MF 1440 4x5 round baler very well as the humidity goes up! Did surprisingly well before then, but it was to hard on my tractor for regular use.
If you want to round bale then you need to size your tractor for your baler or one you are likely to use in the future. So 60-90 gross hp depending on your baler.
For hobby use I would skip the cab if you have to think at all about the extra cost, as you probably aren't going to do enough hours in bad weather to make it worth the hassle? If $6-8-10k is barely a drop in the bucket for you then get a cab for sure, but you would be much happier with that money in better hay equipment and other implements, if you have a limited tractor and implement budget.
I don't do much in the rain. And there are few jobs that go well in the rain anyways, and no tractor job has been that time sensitive. A decent oversize rain suit keeps you dry in wet snow if you have to plow in it, but even that is pretty rare for me, and the summers aren't really too bad here, especially if I avoid the middle of the day.

Last edited:
The 5520 chassis is the same as the 4820. They are really compact and heavy. It's about a foot shorter in length than the TYM 494, but the same weight. Without the tiller it's around 5000 pounds. A chunky bugger indeed. Hydraulics are very fast as well. I was reminded yesterday as I did a little loader work.View attachment 855860View attachment 855861

That's a good looking tractor and one heck of a tiller!

I can tell you 42 gross hp doesn't run an old MF 1440 4x5 round baler very well as the humidity goes up! Did surprisingly well before then, but it was to hard on my tractor for regular use.
If you want to round bale then you need to size your tractor for your baler or one you are likely to use in the future. So 60-90 gross hp depending on your baler.
For hobby use I would skip the cab if you have to think at all about the extra cost, as you probably aren't going to do enough hours in bad weather to make it worth the hassle? If $6-8-10k is barely a drop in the bucket for you then get a cab for sure, but you would be much happier with that money in better hay equipment and other implements, if you have a limited tractor and implement budget.
I don't do much in the rain. And there are few jobs that go well in the rain anyways, and no tractor job has been that time sensitive. A decent oversize rain suit keeps you dry in wet snow if you have to plow in it, but even that is pretty rare for me, and the summers aren't really too bad here, especially if I avoid the middle of the day.
By the time I realistically get into making hay, I'll have two sons at hay throwing age. Round bales aren't super high priority.

My biggest thought with the cab is honestly health and safety. I'm prone to burning in the sun and would prefer to have my ears and lungs fully functioning as I age. Realistically I'm not going to consistently wear hearing protection or a mask when in heavy dust, and I'm known for forgetting sunscreen. The warm and dry are just gravy to me. I also have little use for the tractor in the woods, so I don't need to worry about cab damage from above.