First Time owner questions (NS4710)

/ First Time owner questions (NS4710) #21  
You will most likely never use draft control. It will be set on Heavy and never moved. I think I have used mine twice since 2005.

Being hydrostat you will need to run at higher rpm's both because of the regen but the main issue is to provide enough oil flow to the hydrostat pump, or more specifically the charge pump to prevent transmission hydrostat cavitation which is bad.

Need to keep an eye on the hydraulic fluid level but you won't miss a pint of oil missing from a 10 gallon container. And temporary engagement of a hydraulic fitting without something connected to it will cause it to deadhead and go into bypass. for the short duration it is fine, but if you don't catch it can cause the hydraulic oil to overheat.

The main issue with diesel fuel is avoiding water contamination. that is what will cause you major headaches. Water is the catalyst for the being of microbial growth aka algae, but not real algae. The stuff will plug fuel filters, injectors and just cause major headaches and can get expensive. Diesel that is properly stored can and will last much longer than gas. Diesel can potentially stay usable for years. I think the diesel I am using right now is 4 years old. It is stored in an overhead tank with a 3psi pressure cap so the tank holds pressure when it warms up but doesn't expel all the air like a vented cap would therefore has limited air exchange to draw in air and moisture/water. when it cools off.
One place where it is easy to deadhead is the rear remote that has a detent. The detent remote is good for things like a backhoe or log splitter that need continuous flow. It is easy to forget to turn off that remote - don't ask me how I know!

/ First Time owner questions (NS4710) #22  
Do yourself a huge favor, READ YOUR OPERATORS MANUAL. It answers a lot of the questions that you have asked. And then after you have read it, READ it again.

You can thank me later. ;)

/ First Time owner questions (NS4710)
Send a picture of the joystick. Or, did you order the 3rd function as part of the tractor purchase from the dealer? The float function should be there. Lower the Loader to the ground. Push the joystick toward the front of the tractor with the heel of your hand - harder and harder until you hear/feel a snap
The detent is a bit too stiff and loud for my taste! But, float is really handy for smoothing the place where you just made a mess of the surface of the planet. Keep in mind that the rear axle controls the roll attitude of the bucket when back dragging in float mode.
1000012536.jpg

I tried this again. today with no luck. the joystick indicates float. the loader and instructions below joystick indicate float but I'm not able to get to it. should it engage without moving bucket down much? I try pushing it firmly and quickly from top and it just gets to ground. I tried the same when it was on ground and it just lifts tractor up..

did get hydraulic leak fixed. just needed tightening. first time ever that a fix has been that simple.

/ First Time owner questions (NS4710) #24  
You seem to have bought a really nice tractor. My advice, follow the advice written above, read the manual, watch tractor mike and be patient. No one on this site learned everything in an afternoon and you are not going to either.

Learn a little at a time and don't put to much expectation on yourself or the tractor. Enjoy your new tractor, don't loan it out. Stick around, I already see 3 pages of advice, that's the type of guys you want to listen to.

/ First Time owner questions (NS4710)
View attachment 833089

I tried this again. today with no luck. the joystick indicates float. the loader and instructions below joystick indicate float but I'm not able to get to it. should it engage without moving bucket down much? I try pushing it firmly and quickly from top and it just gets to ground. I tried the same when it was on ground and it just lifts tractor up..

did get hydraulic leak fixed. just needed tightening. first time ever that a fix has been that simple.

Just FYI. I was able to get into float. I'm not sure what the deal is but it seems like the joystick is rotated or something. float is not "behind" down. it's behind down and roll back. once I noticed that I realized down wasn't straight ahead (in relation to mount) like the diagram showed. down is push ahead and to right. which makes it seem like joystick functions shifted, except for float which I can't wrap my brain around but whatever.

would guess I can loosen one of those nuts and rotate it back into a more appropriate position?

/ First Time owner questions (NS4710) #26  
Yes, that is weird! Perhaps the control cables are out of adjustment so much that all functions of the joystick are rotated?