Firepit on wood deck?

/ Firepit on wood deck? #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
We have a large wood deck constructed from 2x6 deck boards over 2x10 joists every 16 inches.
It is very sturdy and once held a 500 gallon hot tub. The hot tub is gone but the large (1200 sf) deck remains.
We've been thinking about putting a wood burning firepit out on the end of the deck which would be greater than 12 feet from any structure.

The style pit I have been thinking about is one that I saw at Lowes. It is square and enclosed on the sides with a fire bowl that sits inside the all metal frame. I was thinking of placing this on some bricks to raise it up off the deck about 1.5 inches to allow air in and cutting four or five1" or so diameter holes on each side just below the top to let the air out. This would create a path for any heated air to flow up and out away from the deck with cooler air being drawn in under the edges of the pit. This air would not fuel the fire since it would be outside the fire bowl.

Firepit.jpg

Inside the pit under the fire bowl I was thinking of placing a metal pan a couple inches deep, again raised up off the deck using some paving bricks 1.5 inches thick. This I think would reflect any heat back up away and create an air space to protect the deck below.

Anyway, this is all theoretical at this point, just wondering if anyone has done something like this and how it worked out.

Yes, I have a source of water nearby (<15 feet) and will not leave the fire unattended and will extinguish it when we are done.

If you have built something like this I'd be interested to hear how it worked out and also what you might have done different if you were to do it again.

/ Firepit on wood deck? #2  
They look great. Just be careful of sparks, cinders caught up by the wind. Nothing flammable should be nearby- no cedar shingle siding!

/ Firepit on wood deck? #3  
Not a chance on my deck. Just too much to lose. Move away from the house a bit so the smoke doesn't chimney up the walls, then make a nice area around your fire ring so you can sit on the upwind side.

Last edited:
   / Firepit on wood deck?
Good points from both, thank you.

Getting the walls smoked up may happen, I will have to watch out for that its true.
No cedar shingle roof here, only asphalt/fiberglass.
Notmuch room once you get off the deck that would be any further away from the house or garage.
Sparks are something to watch out for yes but how is it any more dangerous or different than burning my fireplace where sparks go right up the flue and out to the roof.
I'm just wondering if there was something more i could do to protect the deck than what I outlinded above.

/ Firepit on wood deck? #5  
Not a chance on my deck. Just to much to lose. Move away from the house a bit so the smoke doesn't chimney up the walls, then make a nice area around your fire ring so you can sit on the upwind side.

It sounds as if sparc has given the idea due consideration and taken appropriate steps for safety . . . . however . . . . I'm like you. It would just never be allowed to happen on my property.

/ Firepit on wood deck? #6  
It sounds as if sparc has given the idea due consideration and taken appropriate steps for safety . . . . however . . . . I'm like you. It would just never be allowed to happen on my property.

Put me on this side of the responses. Not happening.

/ Firepit on wood deck? #7  
I put down 2 of the BBQ guards under mine to keep the best that comes off the unit off my deck. It has worked great. Generally my deck is always a little wet from kids or evening dew but when it's really dry I will mist everything just in case and I always keep the hose turned on and at the ready. Just in case a marshmallow gets going

/ Firepit on wood deck? #8  
The wife wanted to do that on our deck. I said no for the reasons already stated. BIL was visiting and tried to side with his sister, he told me I have to "choose" my battles; I said I did, it is not going on the deck.

/ Firepit on wood deck? #10  
One option would be a portable propane campfire. They probably have stationary ones too. I just bought a portable one for camping in areas with fire bans or nights I just want a campfire for a half hour before I call it a night.