Fire extinguishers

/ Fire extinguishers #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I've got an Amerex 2.5 gallon water fire extinguisher that I carry on my tractor when I mow the dry grass.
I just ran across this: Indian Chief 5-Gallon Heavy-Duty Nylon Fire Pump (I haven't shopped prices on them yet, there may be cheaper)
which looks pretty neat:
1692741550600.png

while you have to hand-pump it (as opposed to the 2.5g tank that you pre-charge with air), this holds five gallons and you don't have to lug the extinguisher; I can see carrying one of these on the tractor and tossing it on your back instead of having to carry an extinguisher in your hand (28 pounds)

/ Fire extinguishers #2  
I have a 5 gallon plastic Indian backpack hand pump. I put it in the bucket or grapple when I'm mowing in fire season. It's pretty heavy when full. Getting it on my back is not a toss. It's not all that comfortable but its probably better than the old metal can version.

The pump has two heads, one squirt and one spray. You have to unscrew one and screw on the other. The squirt head can reach pretty far for a hand powered implement. The fire extinguisher can probably get more water on a fire in the same time, in case that's a difference for you.

/ Fire extinguishers #4  
Might be easier and more effective to find a refurbished ABC precharged. Not sure that water tank will fight a diesel fire. I have one in my shed next to my welding area, but not one on tractor. Given that, better water than nothing for sure.

/ Fire extinguishers
Might be easier and more effective to find a refurbished ABC precharged. Not sure that water tank will fight a diesel fire. I have one in my shed next to my welding area, but not one on tractor. Given that, better water than nothing for sure.
I think when mowing in particular the concern is a grass fire from a rock being hit causing a spark.
Chemical extinguishers usually work by smothering a fire, and in grass that's pretty tough to do.

/ Fire extinguishers #8  
When we refilled our water extinguishers at the Fire Department we just squirted in some Dawn dishwashing liquid. It worked well and was cheaper than Class A foam.
Could you estimate how big of a squirt it was?

A teaspoon, Tablespoon or maybe a 1/4 cup?

/ Fire extinguishers #9  
A couple of good squeezes of the bottle, probably 1/2 cup.