Rear Finish Mower Finish Mower - sharpening your blades

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #11  
Anyone use those Orgeon blades on a zero turn? I'm interested, but don't want to waste money. The deck on a zero turn has baffles to lift grass.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #12  
Woods RD7200 has baffles too. 20 years, about 30 blades and going strong.
Multitool is a bench type belt grinder. Maintaining the tip geometry when resharpening requires removing considerable material. That’s where a belt grinder shines.
We maintain rough ground that grows rocks, roots and brush. 1/2 mile gravel driveway thru the woods to mulch leaves. Got to go sharpen and lube now.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #13  
I used a bench grinder, then angle grinder for years until I discovered the joy of using a belt sander. Never looked back since, I keep a spare set or two of blades for the mowers and change when needed and sharpen when it is raining or I just need to kill some time. You can but are less likely to overheat the cutting edge using the sander, I am talking about a bench belt sander not a hand held.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #14  
i bench ground for years. I discovered the angle grinder with flap disc and never looked back. I will never bench grind a mower blade again.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #15  
I think you see what you are doing with a flap disk and grinder. With a bench grinder. you do some, then turn it over and look what you did.

Still curious if very sharp is better over just barely sharp. Teh minutes in and the razor edge will be gone.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #16  
Still curious if very sharp is better over just barely sharp. Teh minutes in and the razor edge will be gone.

Good question, I noticed on the 1025R, 7 Iron deck when I first got it the blades had almost a 1/16 rounded edge and were not "sharp" at all and it leaves a cut second to none. However I still tend to put a razor edge on, hard to break old habits even though the OEM blades went all season without the needing touch up or sharpening.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #17  
Some say not having a razor edge from the OEM is just for liability. I can show you a nice scar on my thumb where a wrench slipped off as a kid tightening a razor sharp blade.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #18  
Have to say the Oregon blades for my JD L120 last about twice as long a same JD blade.... Oregon is best quality blade I have found so far...

Dale

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #19  
Some say not having a razor edge from the OEM is just for liability. I can show you a nice scar on my thumb where a wrench slipped off as a kid tightening a razor sharp blade.

Yep, I have the matching scar. Sure made me change to way I tightened to blades after that.

Have to say the Oregon blades for my JD L120 last about twice as long a same JD blade.... Oregon is best quality blade I have found so far...

Dale

My experience has been just the reverse with the JD blades retaining the edge and cutting better than the Oregon blades and I have been a fan of Oregon blades for a LONG time. Sadly just not on the 1025R.

/ Finish Mower - sharpening your blades #20  
Have not tried all different Oregon blades. The G5 Oregon blades have performed better than the high lift Woods blades. Stay sharper longer. Have wore out several sets of both. Set of Oregon blades cost about half of OEM.