Filter wrenches.

/ Filter wrenches. #21  
The biggest Burly guy that worked at the factory probably put it on with both hands and a breaker bar so whatever you get make sure it's something sturdy
Not really. They tend to paint the frames after the filters are installed so they atick.

/ Filter wrenches. #22  
I DIY'd a similar setup for my Mitsubishi K3 engine.
It is so tight in the filter area that nothing slips in there.
I use a length of seat belt and vice grips.
Wrap the belt and grip with vice grips and presto.
This is the same idea. Its cheap, works great

6EC80CE3-570D-4494-8DDC-3CD5FAB937C5.jpeg

/ Filter wrenches. #23  
This tool made by Lisle can be adjusted for big filters.

53100 Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench

• For Trucks And Tractors
  • Fits John Deere, Case, Caterpillar, Mack, Detroit Diesel And Others.Tough, Stainless Steel Band With Special "Teeth" For Extra Gripping Power...Won'T Slip
  • Professional Quality
  • 1/2" Square Drive
  • Range 4 3/8" - 5 5/8" (111.1 - 142.8MM).

/ Filter wrenches. #24  
Not really. They tend to paint the frames after the filters are installed so they atick.
This ain't no paint, it's peer over torque

/ Filter wrenches. #25  
When I did mine, I used a strap wrench but the first time it was on there extremely tight from the factory.

That's because they have been painted on.

And because they are painted on, everybody agrees that a chain wrench is the best way to remove OEM filters (link to Amazon).

Last edited:
   / Filter wrenches. #26  
Unless they apply the paint on the face of the seal on the filters, then paint contributes nothing as to how tight the filters are. It's a simple case of over torquing and dry assembly as Daman said above.

Last edited:
   / Filter wrenches. #27  
I use this style (one i have is a little different).

I can set it in place (grip the filter) in tight spots with my fingers, and then put the socket wrench in to loosen it.

View attachment 778646

I remember when these things came out in the late eighties and early nineties. They look cool, but don't work well. Use a chain wrench.

/ Filter wrenches. #28  
I remember when these things came out in the late eighties and early nineties. They look cool, but don't work well. Use a chain wrench.

Problem though is that there might not be enough room around the filter to use that chain wrench. That’s what I interpreted the OP’s issue to be (in part). That’s why the style I showed/used is so great - can fit into a tight space, then use a socket wrench with an extension to loosen it.

/ Filter wrenches. #29  
Two sizes of metal strap wrench, 3 jaw ratchet wrench works great for ATV and outboards with smaller filters with no clearance, plews channel lock style for tougher or larger filters. Also works great on RV septic connections and keeps your hands cleaner.