filter draining fuel or water?

/ filter draining fuel or water? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I do my own maintenance and drain fuel filter of water as directed (on the various tractor's I've owned over the years) and I just did the same for my 5 series JD. BUT to be honest, I can never tell what's water and whats fuel. How do you know when to stop draining. on my JD there's no bowl or float - it's just a metal (white) jacketed filter with a valve on the bottom. but even with one's that have had a float - I really can't tell for sure - is it water...is it fuel...who knows? I end up draining for a bit then cut it off

/ filter draining fuel or water? #2  
If you drain water contaminated diesel on a sheet of paper or cardboard the water will form bubbles or droplets

/ filter draining fuel or water? #3  
The easiest way is to drain into a clear glass jar. drain a cup or so out once you can see and smell fuel in the jar stop and look at it. If it had just a bit of water you will see water droplets on the bottom, if a lot of water you will see a layer of water that separate's out from the fuel.

/ filter draining fuel or water? #4  
The easiest way is to drain into a clear glass jar. drain a cup or so out once you can see and smell fuel in the jar stop and look at it. If it had just a bit of water you will see water droplets on the bottom, if a lot of water you will see a layer of water that separate's out from the fuel.

I agree with Lou.

/ filter draining fuel or water? #5  
Lou has a good idea..
Water is heavier than fuel so the water will come out first, once its separated, THEN the fuel..
Water is clear.. fuel has a tint..

/ filter draining fuel or water? #6  
Fuel will feel oily on your fingers. The clear glass is the best way, but when you’re in the north 40 and the water separator light comes on, you can tell by the feel. The water won’t feel oily and the fuel will. The fuel usually has a green tint unless using off road fuel, then it should be red.
If all else fails, just drain about 1 cup and go back to work.

/ filter draining fuel or water?
good idea guys. I'll try the glass - I nice beer glass should do the trick...new tool!