fighting moles this year

/ fighting moles this year #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i use one of those stab-em type mole getters: it works great, i have tried the poison peanuts and other things, but want to know when i get one: i have 5 different areas with big mole mounds right now: got one from the sixth area last wk-end: hopefully will get another in a day or two: may have to buy a second mole stabber: $13 at lowes.
heehaw

/ fighting moles this year #2  
I have also tried the poison peanuts and traps till a new neighbor stopped by. He's a critter catcher and told me I'm waisting time and money on poisons and the down force spring traps. Our soil is to hard for those to work well here. He gave me two scissor type of traps from Victor Pest. I have to say they have worked pretty darn good for my mole problem.

/ fighting moles this year #3  
I have better luck with the scissor type also.

A wise old man told me to never touch the trap with bare hands, moles can smell ya he says.

/ fighting moles this year #4  
Several years ago I started trapping moles after they damaged our above ground pool. That first year I killed 29. For the next 3 years I stopped counting at 50 each year. The year after that I only killed 12. I only get a couple each year since. Haven't seen any yet this year. So, over 200 moles killed in 6-7 years on 1 acre. I use the Victor Out O' Sight mole trap exclusively. After trying several other designs the Out O' Sight works best, in my opinion. It kills them pretty fast, too. The Nash choker loop trap makes them suffer, but also works well. Either of those two traps are easy to set and rarely miss. However, the Out O' Sight can be set at any depth.

Here is a link to a pictorial that I did over on CBN on how to set the Out O' Sight trap. Lots of photos.
CountryByNet.com Forums :: Moles and Mole Traps

/ fighting moles this year #5  
Last edited:
   / fighting moles this year #6  
Well I'm one more for the Victor.
I don't know about the bare hand thing. I've found if you get two moles out of one run, you might as well move somewhere else for couple weeks.

Well.... I use my bare hands all the time when I set my traps and it apparently hasn't affected anything, but no way to know for sure. Maybe I'd have gotten 250 instead of 200? :)

I've pulled moles day after day from the same run, too.

/ fighting moles this year #7  
One more thing. Here is probably the best site dealing with moles. Very educational.

Moleman

/ fighting moles this year
ok, i'll pick up another mole stabber, maybe two.
heehaw

/ fighting moles this year #9  
"Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts." How about a nice, cool drink, varmints? Scum! Slime! Menace to the golfing industry! You're a disgrace. You're varmints. You're one of the lowest members of the food chain and you'll probably be replaced by the rat. Well, I have been pushed. It's about time somebody teaches these varmints a little lesson about morality and about what it's like to be a decent, upstanding member of a society! Come to Carl, varmint. -- I guess we're playing for keeps now. I guess the kidding around is pretty much over. I guess it's just a matter of pumping about five thousand gallons of water down there to teach you a little bit of a lesson. Is that it? I think it is!"

/ fighting moles this year #10  
I uncovered a nest of them this past weekend and dispatched of 7 baby moles. I think that's the best way to get them. Your mileage may vary.