Field work

/ Field work
Oil costs too much to throw it away unused IMHO 100 hour oil changes are not needed but won't hurt anything but your wallet. lol
Neighbor has had a 30 hp Kubota for about 20 yrs now. .. I 've told this before but last year I asked if he was doing his own oil changes. He said no, I've never changed the oil. :oops: o_O
One extreme and the other yet both tractors are running.
Same number of hours?

Since my used motor oil becomes furnace oil it is not really being thrown away.

/ Field work #13  
Wife caught me working on 5 of the 40 acres today with the faithful little L2550DT. Turned 6,330 hours today.
dam--do you allow deer hunting there by a non smoker and non drinker there ?

/ Field work #14  
Yeah, I don't do that either. That would be a lot of oil changing for me.
I’d have 10 oil changes per year!
4 is enough for me.

/ Field work #15  
Oil costs too much to throw it away unused IMHO 100 hour oil changes are not needed but won't hurt anything but your wallet. lol
Neighbor has had a 30 hp Kubota for about 20 yrs now. .. I 've told this before but last year I asked if he was doing his own oil changes. He said no, I've never changed the oil. :oops: o_O
One extreme and the other yet both tractors are running.
Not doubting what he told you, but I call BS on that. 20 years, no oil change, it wouldn't still be running.

/ Field work #16  
Not doubting what he told you, but I call BS on that. 20 years, no oil change, it wouldn't still be running.
you would be surprise some of these old equipments are very tough, although there is probably some exaggeration but I can believe it … especially if it doesn’t run a whole lot in that 20 years.

/ Field work #17  
Couldn't tell you about no oil changes in 20 years, but I bought my JD 870 new in 1997, and have had the oil changed three times, most recently last year. It runs fine.

/ Field work #18  
I do 50 hour oil (100 oil filter) changes on my 1993 B2150, just like the guy I bought it from. Takes me less than 15 minutes and $20-25 (Valvoline Premium Blue on sale) to suction the old oil out through the dipstick tube, and dump new in. Might need it, might not, but I'm guessing the guy that buys it when I'm ready to sell, will give me most of my oil money back.

/ Field work #19  
I have always wondered if you remove oil through the dipstick hole are you leaving sludge and debris in the pan that would flow out had you warmed the engine and pulled the plug?
P.S. Neighbor is a cheap oddball and he did tell me the 20 yr no oil change story. I can confirm the tractor runs less than 25 hours a year IMO.

/ Field work #20  
I always suction it out when the oil is hot, takes a lot longer otherwise. The original owner did drain plug changes at 50 hours, and the tractor was around 2000 hours when I purchased it. I've done a couple since. On that frequency of changes, I think it's highly unlikely there's any sludge in the pan, but I honestly haven't bore scoped it to check. My feeling is that thickened sludge in the bottom of the pan isn't a problem in general, in any case, as long as it's undisturbed and below the pick-up of the pump. It's not coming out when you pull the drain plug either, and isn't circulating when the engine is running.