Fertilizer hopper?

/ Fertilizer hopper?
To be clear I'm not looking for an alternative to applying fertilizer, just a means to store and dispense it into spreaders for application.

/ Fertilizer hopper?
Some heard the saying cart before the horse my vast reserves of free repurposed plate steel I thought I had to build a hopper have dwindled down over the years. So back to looking for an alternative lol.

Attachments

• KIMG2463.JPG
    KIMG2463.JPG
    890.9 KB · Views: 39
   / Fertilizer hopper?
Speaking of dialing in spreaders frequently use this small old John Deere branded yard tractor pull behind it was free of course still works unlike several others I've owned I assume it uses steel Instead of plastic gears to turn wheel anyways getting ready to spread grub killer which have decimated a lot of my new bare root transplants over the last few years msds says 80 lbs ber acre. It's a cheaper generic version of mallet can't buy in one ton totes. Does anyone have experience dialing one of these in? Or pointers. I figured if I had to I can stake out multi half acre plots measure 40 lbs in spreader and adjust accordingly? It has a dial to regulate flow currently have it set at 5 of the 10 settings. More pics available on request.
Fortunately I saved instruction sheet for flow settings on my three point. May use that if I have to.

Attachments

• KIMG2464.JPG
    KIMG2464.JPG
    683.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
   / Fertilizer hopper?
Not wanting to reinvent wheels or spend extra time and money on this idea I sacrificed an old shop vac, that I had to replace switch on (luckily I save junk including switches lol.) anyways took the casters off and cut out the bottom fits perfectly and securely in a old 5 gal bucket. So I'll suck out 5 gal buckets full of fertilizer use the full buckets to fill my small pull behind spreaders and see how this works. Initial tests showed it's better and less of a mess than hand shoveling. Still planning to fill big 3 point spreader directly from totes with mini x. Thanks for the insight.

Attachments

• KIMG2487.JPG
    KIMG2487.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • KIMG2484.JPG
    KIMG2484.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
   / Fertilizer hopper? #15  
Not wanting to reinvent wheels or spend extra time and money on this idea I sacrificed an old shop vac, that I had to replace switch on (luckily I save junk including switches lol.) anyways took the casters off and cut out the bottom fits perfectly and securely in a old 5 gal bucket. So I'll suck out 5 gal buckets full of fertilizer use the full buckets to fill my small pull behind spreaders and see how this works. Initial tests showed it's better and less of a mess than hand shoveling. Still planning to fill big 3 point spreader directly from totes with mini x. Thanks for the insight.
Actually, that's not a bad approach. You could expand on it by elevating the bucket and fabricating a cone bottom with a gate of some type. Close the bottom, use the vacuum to fill it, then shut off the vacuum and open the gate to fill the hopper. You've created a pneumatic conveyor. You may need to adjust the air and solids flow at the suction to keep it from plugging. You could build a larger hopper to handle the larger spreader.

Another approach would be to have the fertilizer loaded in a bottom spout bag. These have a tube made into the bag's bottom to discharge the material. Then you could suspend the bag above the spreaders and fill as desired. The spout is tied off with a rope or belt to stop the flow. You'd need the supplier to fill the bag and you might have to furnish the bag.

/ Fertilizer hopper?
Yep some sort of a hopper system is still in the back of my mind and I know if I get enough fertilizer out of totes initially i can lift them over hoppers cut the bottoms out and fill the hoppers but i don't have enough of what I need on hand to construct something that big. more time and experiences loading these spreaders will help me determine what exactly i would like to try and make, currently i can use old shop vac to fill multiple 5 gal buckets by placing vacuum on empty 5 gal. buckets that I've accumulated a lot of over the last decade, for the folks who don't understand why i buy fertilizer by the ton price out a 50lb bag compared to cost of a 1 ton tote lol. good idea with feed bags.

Last edited:
   / Fertilizer hopper? #17  

Why not just create a plate (plywood?) with a hole in it for the shop vac that could sit on top of the tow-behind and 3-point spreaders and suck the fertilizer directly into the spreaders from the tote(s) with the shop vac ?

/ Fertilizer hopper?
Why not just create a plate (plywood?) with a hole in it for the shop vac that could sit on top of the tow-behind and 3-point spreaders and suck the fertilizer directly into the spreaders from the tote(s) with the shop vac ?
I don't believe that old shop vac is powerful enough to create adequate suction. Briefly tried something like that with a scrap piece of ply wood with vac cut out on top of my pull behind it didn't work, It does have enough sucking power when used over a 5 gallon bucket though.

/ Fertilizer hopper?
I've come to believe that the plastic collection bin is an integral part of the suction power, and a unperforated plastic bucket seems the best I can do producing enough suction with that older shop vac.

/ Fertilizer hopper? #20  
Edit: never mind then … lol