Ibc tote for fertilizer

/ Ibc tote for fertilizer #1  

Saucymynx

Tractor
LS MT7 101 Farmall 656 Ford 2610 Farmall 140. JD 670
hi there. I am new to hay production So please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have 10 acres of orchard grass and alfalfa hay ground in the central upper peninsula of Michigan. With last year‘s drought it produced 1.25 tons of hay per acre. I did fertilize last year according to soil testing and at that time had a bulk fertilizer dealer 8 miles away from whom I could borrow their commercial spreader. They have since stopped dealing fertilizer and the next closest place is 45 miles away. For me to use their spreader with mean four trips each way to pick up the spreader and return it per application. With only 10 acres, I could easily spread it with my three point hitch mounted hopper spreader. My question is, how to transport two tons of bulk fertilizer.? One idea I have is to use a 250 gallon IBC tote. With the density of fertilizer, each tote should hold about 2000 pounds of fertilizer. I could easily move that with my loader and lift it up high enough to fill the hopper. Is this a crazy idea? Have any of you ever done that? Thanks so much for any advice you

/ Ibc tote for fertilizer #2  
Works for me. I get my granulated urea for my hayfields in 50 pound sacks on a pallet.

You had better be prepared for sticker shock however. The price of nitrogen has doubled since last year.

/ Ibc tote for fertilizer #3  
If your loader will lift 2000 pounds, I would say bulk bags. The big issue is controlling the flow. Not the rate but shutting off. There's commercial valves for bulk bags, but I used a rope noose. Two bags isn't worth buying the valve. The key is to let the bottom nozzle of the bulk bag fill the hopper and stop. (position the bottom of the bag below the top of the hopper, otherwise this won't work without spillage) Put the noose around the nozzle and tighten. You won't completely stop the flow yet. push the fertilizer away from the nozzle and tighten the noose some more. Repeat until the nozzle is completely tied off.

/ Ibc tote for fertilizer
Thanks so much! Sounds like this might just work

/ Ibc tote for fertilizer #5  
Supersacks usually have a deposit on them. Keep that in mind. No ICB tote will have a valve large enough to pass dry fertilizer anyway. The Supersacks I deal with are usually 2500 pounds each FYI and I usually get them on skids.

/ Ibc tote for fertilizer #6  
on the subject of the rising cost of petroleum, what is the status of current fertilizer prices. wise to stockpile now?
will only use 500-700# or so for duck game plot thx in advance

/ Ibc tote for fertilizer
I got in touch with a local fertilizer dealer. They will do a custom mix and Bagget and 50 pound bags for me. So I think that solves my problem. I’d rather not haul bunch of 50 pound bags, but I think that’s a reasonable solution without going to the big bags. Thanks for all the input

/ Ibc tote for fertilizer #8  
I usually do pelletized for my first application, based on soil analysis needs (N-P-K), after that I buy liquid urea in totes as it's much cheaper. It's heavy stuff at about 10.7 lbs/gallon. so a 275 or 330 gallon tote has some heft. Can you handle that weight and do you have access to a sprayer?