FEL Issue

/ FEL Issue #1  

alexsbuddy

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3037 w/ LS LL3109 FEL Kodiak SD5 Mower, Speeco Model 65 PHD, Bush Hog BX-600 Box Blade, Titan 42" Skid Steer Pallet Fork/Hay Spear Combo
The 3109 FEL on my XG3037 is raising very, very slowly and the bucket seems to develop some slack or play when left in position after a few minutes. The FEL also seems to be straining to reach maximum height. This all started suddenly today for no apparent reason. Tractor has 160 hrs and was serviced completely at 100 hrs. Any ideas on what the problem any be? Any assistance would be truly appreciated.

/ FEL Issue #2  
The 3109 FEL on my XG3037 is raising very, very slowly and the bucket seems to develop some slack or play when left in position after a few minutes. The FEL also seems to be straining to reach maximum height. This all started suddenly today for no apparent reason. Tractor has 160 hrs and was serviced completely at 100 hrs. Any ideas on what the problem any be? Any assistance would be truly appreciated.

Check to make sure all of your FEL quick connects are seated correctly. Take them off an put them back on.. It is worth a try, and has fixed several with this problem.

/ FEL Issue
Reseated all of the quick connectors and no improvement. One other detail I forgot to mention in my original post...there seems to be some vibration when I am lifting the FEL. I can feel it through the seat, steering wheel via my hands, and floorboard via my feet. This has me really baffled.....have never over exerted the FEL and no impacts.

/ FEL Issue #4  
If for sure the pump is making the correct flow rate, then the next thing is that one of the Quick Connects is bad.. Yes there is such a thing where the quick connect valve oscillates and does not allow the proper flow. This is rare but I have read about it here. I would like to see a flow test on the pump. and if that passes I would swap around the QC from the lift to the curl function. I guess you could have something stuck in the valve or somewhere. It is going to take some testing/unhooking and flow testing in a clean bucket. to find this.

/ FEL Issue
Thanks, James. I have a hydraulic pressure test gauge/hose and fittings ordered so hopefully will be able to do some testing this week. Will report back on my findings.

/ FEL Issue #6  
I wonder what the chances are that the PRV (Pressure Relief Valve) is defective? Here is a hypothetical scenario. As the flow comes from the pump and the loader valve switches the flow to start filling the lift cylinders, the pressure starts to increase as the fluid runs into the piston inside the cylinder. As the pressure is increasing a weak spring in the PRV might cause a "shudder" and slow filling of the cylinders as some of the fluid is flowing around the weakened spring and shims. Just another idea, but it would be an easy one to fix. Keep us informed on what you find. I would like to know if any of my "BS" scenarios are the real culprit. :)

On any scientific method repair procedure, you must first analyze, then form a hypothesis, and then prove or disprove that hypothesis. Then repair or replace the suspected component and retest.

Easy for me to say right?:) Good luck with it.

/ FEL Issue #7  
When is the last time you greased the loader?

/ FEL Issue
There are no lube zerks on the 3109 FEL, but I did lube all of the pivot pins. No change. I also tried adjusting the pressure relief valve on the loader valve body....tried increasing and decreasing the pressure with no real change either way. I will be able to do some pressure testing once my pressure gauge/fittings arrive and this might help to isolate the problem. Will keep you posted.

/ FEL Issue #9  
Any chance you can take a video and post?

/ FEL Issue
A video is a great idea....I will do this tomorrow after work and will study up on posting it to this forum or via You Tube with a link.

On another note..man, I feel stupid. I had earlier written that the 3109 did not have zerks for lubing. I knew better than to look for these in poor lighting. Today, I took another look and the zerks are actually recessed in the pivot pins so that they are flush. Will give these a good lube tomorrow as well.

Last edited: