FEL Float Detent Issue

/ FEL Float Detent Issue #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
I'm not too sure, but I think I starting to have an issue with my FEL joystick, specifically the float detent. Its really hard to take it out of float!

Background:

I hardly use the float function on the FEL. Only when I shut it down, I push the joystick into float and let the bucket fall. But I've started to notice that when I attempt to pull the joystick out of float, its REALLY hard! Well, harder. Its been gradually getting harder and harder to do. Going in to float is easy, but now I really gotta thrust that thing backwards with a loud pop! That cannot be good. :thumbdown:

I've largely ignored this 'issue' since, well, everything still seems to work just fine. Just hard to take it out of float.

I've taken the cover off before, to tighten the joystick rotation. It started twisting in my hand, so I simply tightened it and all is well. But that was a while ago, this is a more recent issue. I havent taken it apart yet to see what I can see... if anything.

Is this something others experience with this joystick? Have you attempted to fix this issue in anyway? I need advise, before I start pulling bolts and screws out of my tractor. :laughing:

/ FEL Float Detent Issue #2  
You could start by checking the joystick bots again. If nothing changes, you can take the cover off the spool, where the detent balls are located. Just be aware that it might shoot the little balls and springs everywhere.

Dirt, moisture, rust and whatever, can accumulate over time inside this little cap and cause all kinds of weird issues. The caps usually have a little drain hole, but often gets plugged with dirt.

/ FEL Float Detent Issue #3  
The detent is in the loader valve so the joystick itself shouldn't effect anything. PTSG's advise are two things to check.

/ FEL Float Detent Issue #4  
Moisture/water in the loader valve caps will start to freeze up this time of year, depending on where you’re located.
If so, your lever will be frozen no matter what position you leave it in. I wouldn’t force lever.
Blast caps with a hairdryer, or some other type of heat next time lever is stuck. If lever unsticks, you know it’s a freeze problem.
Remove caps, drain, and grease if necessary.

/ FEL Float Detent Issue #5  
I've had water get in the detent cap mentioned above and cause the grease to gum up. Mine wouldn't stay in detent. If it works anything like mine, it's a chamfered shaft that goes over a ring of ball bearings. The balls catch the lip of the chamfer and hold it in place. Too much grease, or grease gummed up over the balls, and it won't catch. Not enough, and that lip doesn't want to come back over the balls and takes force to pop out.

I'd pull that cap off, clean everything out with a rag and compressed air, and then put a light coat of grease inside it. I've had to do this to mine about once a year, usually when it starts warming up after the winter and I get condensation in there.

/ FEL Float Detent Issue #6  
Avenger what happened with this?

/ FEL Float Detent Issue
Yep. Update time. Thanks for keeping me on track!

I took it apart and found plastic shavings around the detent. I cleaned it all out and lubricated the crap out it. I put it all back together and all is well. Took me longer to take the plastic housings and the rubber boot off. Everything seems to function well, I cycled the joystick several times, looking for more shavings thinking that something is obviously shaving plastic, but no more shavings and no more sticky detent. Wish the housing was metal, but plastic is works, until it dont.

/ FEL Float Detent Issue #8  
My money it is the spool/steel balls gumming up. Been my experience with loader valves. My wood splitter started sticking in the retract position. Disassembled it, cleaned it up, light coat of grease, back to splitting wood.

/ FEL Float Detent Issue #9  
I had the same issue, the dealer replaced my loader control valve.

/ FEL Float Detent Issue
I should clarify. I didnt take apart the loader control. The the plastic housing under the joystick. Its made of plastic and was binding up a bit. I tore it all apart, cleaned it, lubed it, and put it all back together again. That seemed to fix the issue.

When it was sticky, it felt like it was in the joystick, not the control valve, if that makes sense.