FEL, can you live without one?

/ FEL, can you live without one? #1  

raptor

Bronze Member
I bought an older tractor w/o a FEL on it, to mostly brush hog about 10-12 acres. Now I'm wondering if I should have bought a tractor that can accomadate a front end loader? My tractor is a MF35, without power steering, so adding an after market FEL has little appeal to me. I know this question is relative to what a person intends on doing with a tractor. How 'bout it, what do you use your loader for, and would you be w/o it?

I already now what you're gonna say Kerr.

/ FEL, can you live without one? #2  
Yep, since you already know the answer, why ask?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Personally I wouldn't even consider a tractor without a FEL; most used implement I have.

BirdSig.jpg

/ FEL, can you live without one? #3  
Raptor,

I think this thread covers it quite well. For a lot of people, myself included to some extent, the FEL is the primary implement for the tractor, and implements are the reason for having the tractor. The FEL can be used for more things than anyone could hope to put down on paper, and is really like a big, hydraulic, overgrown hand. And once you get good with it, just about as handy./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

You can put a light duty loader on a 2 wheel drive tractor. With enough ballast on the back it will still be useful, I have several hours on one. Though 4 wheel drive makes an incredible difference. If you can find a cheap appropriately sized loader, you can put it on your MF and reap a lot of the benefits the rest of us rant on about. I'd consider it, in your shoes.

Nick

Farmer kid usetabe, Farmer Wannabe

/ FEL, can you live without one? #4  
I have an old B6000E w/o power steering, so I too have chosen not to pursue a loader. While I would love to have one for the times when the need arises, I found that a super cheap boom pole filled my most common need: lifting or moving heavy objects, trees, etc. A loader would often be faster, but the pole has been very handy for pulling trees out of my creek, moving stumps etc. Just an option for your MF.

/ FEL, can you live without one? #5  
Hi ya
well as i can't use my tractor around the home the list of uses may be smaller ,but i'd say 40%of all my hours a year would be FEL work ,could i be with out it ..of course i could but i would not get many things done .manly just shifting things bales,drums,posts,platets of baged fert.as for the MF 35 i have not seen many with a fel but i have seen a few with back loaders (not back hoes)not as good tho
catch ya
JD Kid

/ FEL, can you live without one?
Hi Steve:

A boom pole is my loader alternative. I think I more want a loader for lifting items, but can't deny it would be sweet for hauling loose materials, e.g. rock, mulch, sand, compost, etc.
Honestly, I can't afford a new(er) tractor with a loader. Got too many other things that need buying. Such is life. Thanks for the replies. Stay safe.

Terry

/ FEL, can you live without one? #7  
I have a small tractor with two-wheel drive and I don't have a FEL. I considered it at length and decided to wait and see if I had sufficient need for one before purchasing. After several years, there have only been a few occasions when I really would have liked to have a FEL. I use a crane (boom pole) for moving things; I use a rear scoop for moving dirt and gravel; I use a rear platform or a trailer for carrying big stuff. So far this has worked for me. I should mention that I don't have any big jobs and yes, I sometimes do get a stiff neck moving a couple of truckloads of dirt or gravel with a rear scoop.

/ FEL, can you live without one? #8  
My tractor could care less if it has a FEL, My back however cares a lot. With the quick attach FEL's you get the best of both worlds.

Gary.

/ FEL, can you live without one? #9  
Before I got one, yes. Since I have on, no I would not go back.

My B8200 Kubota does not have power steering. Sometimes a real full bucket makes it hard to steer, but for the most part it is managable.

I functioned for a while with a rear scoop. It moved a fair amount of dirt, for $250 brand new.

Now, I use the loader for EVERYTHING. It is a quick detach, but I have never even thought of taking it off.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ FEL, can you live without one? #10  
Shucks, I can't even do without a 4-in-1 bucket, much less the FEL to put it on... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkC
ChalkleyCup.gif
ChalkleySig3a.gif