Feeding round bales

/ Feeding round bales #11  
I recommend a poly bale ring, there are many styles: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...4.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..7.4.2991.HhJ9JXtbLGo

polyFEEDER.jpg

We have horses, that requires a different style, so the horses mane doesn't get rubbed off by a top bar.

P4160005.JPG

/ Feeding round bales #12  
Unfortunately truck will be loaded n has a canopy 2500hd duramax
Trailer has a 12k payload will still have the dump gate on so can't overhang the stern, was hoping to do 4 double rows with one row slightly raised then strap a third row on top. Bales are only 800 lbs.

i don't think you are going to get 2 side by side on a 7' trailer width.. nor do I think you will get 4 in a line on a 16' dump with a gate.

No way you are getting 11 bales on there. :)

/ Feeding round bales #13  
You MIGHT get two rows on bottom. Depends somewhat on the bales, how tight and square they are. I have a 7’ wide trailer, and some 4x4 bales will fit two wide, and some just aren’t safe. But at best, I think you’re looking at 2x3 on the bottom. I can’t see the 4th row even being close to fitting.

/ Feeding round bales #14  
here is 14 on my trailer.. I think 11 will be a squeeze for yours.

WP_20151024_11_08_00_Pro.jpg

/ Feeding round bales #15  
I think once you try it you wont go back to square bales. Just remember you get what you pay for. Cheap hay aint always a bargain.

/ Feeding round bales #16  
Here's a rig a friend of mine uses?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 300
   / Feeding round bales
I didn't realize you can't spear the bales from the side so my double row plan didn't fly even with some dunnage I had brought to lift the bales up on the sides.

I did get 7 on there,n was coming back that anyway so it worked out fine especially since it's an experiment. Will have a flatbed next time.

With our copious amounts of winter rain here in the Oregon coast range leaving hay out for days doesn't seem like it would be great for stretching hay dollars.
Found these hay huts while googling options, anyone use them?

Hay Feeders for Horses | Round Bale Feeder | Covered Hay Feeder

/ Feeding round bales #19  
This implement allows the farmer to unroll as much or as little as he requires. Ken Sweet
New Dirt Dog Round Bale Unroller with Cylinder Hoses Can SHIP Fast and Cheap | eBay

DewEze | Harper Industries

The livestock folks around here use a similar device for loading, hauling and unrolling large round bales up to 6' diameter. It's mounted to a purpose made pickup flatbed with electric over hydraulics for clamping the bale and picking it up. Makes the rear end of the pickup squat a little when picking up a large bale of alfalfa.
I helped a local farmer haul water and feed cattle for a couple weeks this winter. We had one small group of heifers that got a 1/4 of a round bale per day. Did a little math to see what parts of a 6' round bale constituted a quarter bale. Turns out, using a 6' diameter bale, that 5'was about 3/4, 4' about 1/2 and 3' was the last quarter. We were unrolling the bales on the ground and it was a guesstimate at best but the critters didn't second guess us.

/ Feeding round bales #20  
With our copious amounts of winter rain here in the Oregon coast range leaving hay out for days doesn't seem like it would be great for stretching hay dollars.
Found these hay huts while googling options, anyone use them?

Hay Feeders for Horses | Round Bale Feeder | Covered Hay Feeder

I built my own "hay hut".....or what I call "the last **** round bail feeder" after going thru several crappy hay rings. Cows seem to love to lean in and destroy hay rings, and then me moving them like XFaxman pictures above didn't do them any good either.

Used 6x6 locust for the skids, 6x6 oak corner posts, 2x oak for the side walls and bed. Gate on front swings open to load, back metal grate is bolted fixed. Metal is 1.5" square tubing. Made to fit a 4x5 round bale inserted with spear. They waste very little with this, and it stays dry.

(crappy pic, sorry)

ry%3D400