Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #12  
Up until about 20 to 25 years ago - I had "visitors" quite often. Then one visitor showed me that the local mapping company - out of Seattle - showed my driveway as a COUNTY ROAD.

It took the better part of three years to get that straightened out.
It amazes me that in this day and age such inaccuracies still occur. When I enter my own address in Google Maps it points to a location well over a mile from my homestead.

Some of it is deliberate - and I don't know why. There are some huge mines here in northern Nevada - their physical, fenced property can be at least 5 miles long. They've been operating here for 30+ years. Yet - if you pick up an official Nevada road map, or any of the available commercial topographic map atlases, you'll not find those mines on the map. Only the roads that used to be there many, many years ago. So people not familiar with the area end up at locked gates not showing on their maps or GPS units.

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #13  
Looks like a telehandler to me, not a tractor and in the past, I've put idiots in the ditch as well. You in that big of a hurry, leave earlier. Did one last summer in fact, some kid tried to pass me on a 2 lane dirt farm road and found out the hard way there wasn't enough room. Oh well.
Unless I'm miss understanding your point this sounds like a case of deciding "who owns the road". Other than passing on a two lane dirt farm road,what are other things that justify "putting idiots in the ditch"? Do idiots have the right to resist being put in the ditch? How much effort should one exert to accomplish putting idiots in the ditch and how much effort should idiots use to prevent being put in the ditch? Do you think putting drivers in the ditch is a civil right or is it a crime ? I ask because I like to understand what to expect while driving?

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #14  
Let me make it crystal clear, I have no problem yielding the right of way to anyone, anytime but when I'm pulling a over width implement like a dis mower for instance and there is no instant place to pull over, I expect the driver of a vehicle to exhibit patience and allow me to get out of the way.

My issues develop when the drivers of said vehicles are in too big of a hurry to exhibit any patience and try to attempt to pass me when there isn't any room to pass. That is when they get to explore the pucker bush.

I have no issue with that and I know of no other farmer that does either

I'm 100% legal as well.

I had one yokel rear end me some years back too. A 4 wheel coffin is no match for a heavy implement and when the local sheriff came, the yokel got a ticket, plus his insurance got to pay for the damage to my implement.

In this state at least towed ag implements have the undisputed right of way as far as the law is concerned on secondary roads.

My philosophy is, you are in that big of a hurry... leave earlier.

I deal with that crap every growing season. Sometimes it ends well (drivers exhibit patience) sometimes it don't. Hopefully this year they will because they are on the loosing end all around.

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #15  
Looks like a telehandler to me, not a tractor and in the past, I've put idiots in the ditch as well. You in that big of a hurry, leave earlier. Did one last summer in fact, some kid tried to pass me on a 2 lane dirt farm road and found out the hard way there wasn't enough room. Oh well.
Last year a farmer in the west end of the state got a rifle shot through the windshield and the radiator after he got passed by another motorist that disagrees with your "don't talk with your mouth full" attitude.
Be careful. Lots of nut cases out there.

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #16  
It amazes me that in this day and age such inaccuracies still occur. When I enter my own address in Google Maps it points to a location well over a mile from my homestead.

Some of it is deliberate - and I don't know why.

It may not as deliberate as you think..or at all. Google hasn't mapped the entire country themselves, and much of their mapping data comes from very inaccurate sources. USPS databases are one of these. All of my work sites through my employer have USPS addresses associated with them, despite the majority of them will NEVER receive mail or shipments. Some of these addresses map out to physical locations miles away from the actual site. Google will show the incorrect location every time.

Google also shows my road as one that I cut through the property many years ago, and NOT the legally defined road. The legal road is not a city/county maintained road, and doesn't really show up on satellite images well...because we haven't maintained it in over a decade. The "road" I do use, which is essentially my driveway, is what Google shows as the road I live on, and does show clearly on satellite imagery.

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #17  
,,,I went out and asked who he was and he said he was with the tax assessors office. ---

I not so sure I'd want to PO the assessor. In the tax hell I live in (New York State), that could get expensive! :)

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #18  

Some of it is deliberate - and I don't know why. There are some huge mines here in northern Nevada - their physical, fenced property can be at least 5 miles long. They've been operating here for 30+ years. Yet - if you pick up an official Nevada road map, or any of the available commercial topographic map atlases, you'll not find those mines on the map. Only the roads that used to be there many, many years ago. So people not familiar with the area end up at locked gates not showing on their maps or GPS units.
Look at the puplication date on the lower right corner or the center bottom on USGS quad maps. Some of them are really old, if the area is very rural or federal land many have not been updated since the middle of the last century or earlier.
The Google maps thing I think is caused by not using stereo interpretation of the ground features. One up near my sisters place outside of Laconner would put someone who tried to follow it at the bottom of several large drainage ditches or buried to the frame in mud at certain times of the year. Not to mention crossing a grouchy farmers barnyard to get there!

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #19  
Fire up Google Earth or Google Maps and turn on Street View. Many roads have not been imaged. They image them at the same time they map them. So you can guess that if there is no street view, they've never driven down that road to verify the old paper maps that they digitized.

/ Farmer who flipped trespasser's car found not guilty #20  
I not so sure I'd want to PO the assessor. In the tax hell I live in (New York State), that could get expensive! :)
Yes but most of these stories are told for swag.🤠