Excessive ads?

/ Excessive ads? #11  
I had similar experience with this and other sites. Exactly what I needed to finally say goodbye to the Microsoft corporate abuse. Switched to Linux (Ubuntu shell), Firefox with strict privacy enabled, substituted Duck Duck Go and Brave search engines for Google and life became a whole lot better. No more of the obnoxious “log in with Google” pop up everywhere. No more unwanted ads from Chinese and other mass marketers that previously presented themselves constantly.

Suppose there’s some content that won’t work under these constraints, but I haven’t found any I can’t live without. A few sites restrict viewing unless these privacy settings are rolled back: I move on. TBN now presents itself cleanly, with only the (I assume) embedded ads TBN has accepted as direct revenue. I can live with that. No shortage of Linux based apps, including word processors, spreadsheets, photo/video, etc. My home Ethernet appears to operate faster without the Windows bloat.

As a side benefit, I relish not having to agree to Microsoft’s one directional terms/blackmail any longer. ( by clicking here, you acknowledge that we can download changes to your software that may render your computer inoperable. And oh by the way, you can’t refuse these future downloads because they are automatic.) Good riddance.

Last edited:
   / Excessive ads? #13  
Tapatalk on Android with ad blocker and no ads here.

I run ad blockers on all my stuff... Phone, PC, TVs... No ads.

/ Excessive ads? #14  
I don’t know what happened, but this forum has pretty much become unuseable because of the annoying and incessant ads.

Someone ruined a good thing.

I won’t be back!

/ Excessive ads? #15  
Was just wondering if everybody was experiencing the same thing I was or if it’s just the way I access the forum?
i use Tapatalk to get to the forum and every time I try to read something the ads are getting just ridiculous. It’s to the point where I can’t even see The form from all the ads. I’ll post a snap shot. Is this what everyone is dealing with or could it just be the way I’m accessing?View attachment 835534
I'm using Opera for my browser, no ads here 🤪😆😉

/ Excessive ads? #16  
The ads are terrible on the phone, the video that keeps popping up even after you close it is almost too much. Not nearly as bad on my PC, but I'm normally looking at this forum on my iPhone.

/ Excessive ads? #17  
On every computer there is a file called "hosts"; if a site is called, the computer looks there whether it is mentioned there and, if so, what to do with it. If the what-to-do is 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0, it does not look outside but ignores the call, so that side gets actually blocked. The hosts in Windows is located in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and in Linux in /etc and normally is around 620 bytes big. A guy called Steven Black long ago started collecting ad and data collector sites and put them into a new hosts file, that over the years got updated by many other people. It has now grown to 4.2MB. You can download it from here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts . (right-click on link, savefileas, or left-click, let it open and then savefileas). It will save as a txt-file, because that is the format it is. Rename it to "hosts" without the extension .txt and without the ""-ses; in the standard Windows installation it will not let you because you have to set your permits first so that you can see the file extensions. Overwrite the original hosts file. Combine that with basically any chrome-based or Firefox-based browser except Microsoft's Edge and Google's Chrome, the latter which is the summum of bad, where the ads can be blocked and you don't need anything else and have peace.

NB: facebook is the king with over 900 data-collecting net addresses, but those are not in this hosts file, so it runs normally for the ones who don't value their privacy.

@finn1: try this; you won't need to leave.

I do not like stamp-sized internetting, so I have no idea how this all is on a phone.

Last edited:
   / Excessive ads?
Well looks likeI’m not the only one having problems. Thanks for all the info guys I will definitely give some of these a try.