Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter?

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #21  
Purchase less summer fuel in the iffy fall months. It's mid February , how are you caught with #2 summer fuel three+ months into winter?
Should have been adding gasoline or Jet A-1 to the #2 back in November as a preventative measure. An ounce of cure is better than a pound of cure.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #22  
Yesterday morning my Kubota MX5100 started without the block heater (that's another story) after an overnight low of 6F. After running at 1300 rpm for about a minute it sputtered and died. I assume the fuel gelled, looks like maybe the filter. Fuel in tank looked fine -- and yes -- this is winter fuel, so must have been some moisture. Fuel filter was only about 6 months old, less than 100 hours. Today the forecast high is going to be 36F, so I want to try starting it this afternoon with a full tank of fuel, some PS additive, and opening the bleed valve.

Purchase less summer fuel in the iffy fall months. It's mid February , how are you caught with #2 summer fuel three+ months into winter?
Should have been adding gasoline or Jet A-1 to the #2 back in November as a preventative measure. An ounce of cure is better than a pound of cure.

I posted the OPs first post. It was winter fuel.

What do you recommend in this situation?

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #23  
Fuel station I use in town has 4 different winter fuels now each with a different price. Lowest cost is labeled #2 with cold flow additive. Next are 2 different #1/#2 blends, and last is straight #1. What we have in our farm tank is the straight #1 and we don't have a gel problem. The #2 with cold glow additive, advertised as good to -10F, actually gels pretty good somewhere between 0 and 10. There is a possibility that the winter fuel you get is not a real cold weather fuel despite what they label it. Our trucker gives us a heads up a few days before he delivers our first #1 diesel because fuel economy drops like a rock. Most of our tractors sit idle all winter do they get filled with the last of the #2. We really notice the difference when the #1 hits because power is down along with fuel economy. The manager at the station in town says he has so many options because of customer complaints when they switched to either a 1/2 blend or straight 1, so his supplier gave the option with the cold flow additive being #2 with a commercial volume equivalent of something like Power Service added. Continued good economy for the diesel pickup guys until they stall on the highway when it gets really cold.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #24  
For the price of diesel fuel, you would think they would start adding winter blend in the fall.
Diesel is about 50 cents more per gallon here, makes no sense, since it takes less to refine.
There should be NO reason that we need to add some type of "potion" to our fuel, to keep it from gelling.
We need a few of these government people to start having problems with "their" tractors/trucks before things are changed, I suppose.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #25  
Diesel here is about 50 cents/gallon higher because the lilly livered legislatures were afraid to increase the road tax on gasoline. They levied it on diesel, to hit the truckers.

Ralph

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #26  
The wax suspended in #2 diesel provides a lot of energy vs the kerosene or light oil base it's suspended in.
It's one of the costs and considerations of using diesel.
I would dare anybody to find a power and economy difference running #2 diesel vs JET A-1 kerosene. Problem is the price and not every supplier will drop it off into your farm tank. I bring mine home in Jerry cans from the local airport . Certainly cheaper than kerosene in the hardware store or at the pumps where the Amish purchase it.