Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter?

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
Yesterday morning my Kubota MX5100 started without the block heater (that's another story) after an overnight low of 6F. After running at 1300 rpm for about a minute it sputtered and died. I assume the fuel gelled, looks like maybe the filter. Fuel in tank looked fine -- and yes -- this is winter fuel, so must have been some moisture. Fuel filter was only about 6 months old, less than 100 hours. Today the forecast high is going to be 36F, so I want to try starting it this afternoon with a full tank of fuel, some PS additive, and opening the bleed valve. MY QUESTION, if I warm up the fuel filter housing, can I get this to go? On this tractor access to the injectors is blocked by the fuel tank, so bleeding can be a chore if the initial effort using the bleed valve doesn't work, for that reason I am reluctant to remove fuel filter and replace and/or go the 911 route.

FYI, when I went out yesterday morning the block heater was off, it had tripped a GFI. When I plugged into another outlet without GFI the breaker blew. I discovered coolant around the electrical pins of the block heater socket. So that's another problem...

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #2  
I haven't had to do it that way, but if you read enough on here, you'll find a few accounts of people getting enough heat applied to a fuel system to un-gell. Depending on heat source/ambient temps, tarping the engine can help.

If you haven't lately, check the coolant's freeze-point.

Got any pics up here on the 'mog ? Don't see many of those around these parts.

Rgds, D.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #3  
I have had fuel gel causing the tractor to stall out. Once warmed up, the gelled fuel will re-liquify. Add some Power Service or similar product to the fuel tank. If possible use a salamander or heater to speed up the process.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter?
Suggest you read this thread re Kubota Glow plugs and a trick.
It does not apply to your fuel problem but may help you get started.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/329005-kubota-cold-start.html
Dave M7040

Thanks, but on the MX5100 the glow plug is completely manual. Turn the key CCW for heat, CW to start. Cannot hit the glow plugs again without shutting off the engine, but you can energize the GP's as long as you want before cranking. There must be at least 4 versions of glow plug control on Kubotas.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #6  
Many years ago and a different tractor - it stalled & stopped half way down the driveway(over 1/2 mile from house). A small Honda generator and the wife's hair dryer solved the problem. About 1/2 hour blowing on the fuel tank reliquified the jelled fuel. Only time this has happened in 32 years. I put PS in my fuel now.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #7  
After having my old tractor stall in the middle of a dark country road, I decided I needed to get serious about the proper fuel.
What I order now in Ontario is called colored -40 diesel.
In the 20 years I have been using this I have never had a problem and I use it year round.
Cost in Dec 2014 was 1.02 per litre
Dave M7040

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #8  
Dump a pint or quart of kerosene in your fuel tank and it will stop the paraffin from going solid in the filter restricting the fuel flow.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #9  
Yep. Last winter after confirming with supplier (Hess) that fuel was treated, I made it 20 feet out the unheated shed when it sputtered and quit. I think I used the hair dryer trick and put a 1/2 gallon of kerosene, the only thing I had, to to get it into the heated garage. I then:
1) Got some 3 different colored bottles of Power Service treatment.
2) Learned never to trust the supplier's claims and treat all fuel myself.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter?
Outside temp got up to 29F today. Used a hair dryer to warm the fuel lines, and soaked the fuel filter in warm water, and topped off with warm diesel mixed with enough PS to treat the full tank. Kind of handy to have an IR gun to answer the question "how hot is hot?" when you're heating near plastic jacketed cables, etc. Anyhow, it started right up. What I was nervous about was bleeding the fuel lines because I've had trouble when changing the fuel filter on this tractor, but it didn't even hick-up.