Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter?

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #11  
In our area, winter fuel is only good to about 10 deg. Colder than that, a fuel additive is required. Don't use the 911 stuff for already gelled machines, that can damage injectors and pumps over time.We use BG products and have no issues.Another trick I use to start gelled machines, is a 25 ' piece of flex pipe, dryer duct works in a pinch, put over my service truck tailpipe and the other end under fuel filters , inj pumps, or fittings at the top
Of fuel tanks that have iced up , etc. It doesn't burn everything up like a torch does. I sit in the warm cab for 15 min. , get out, and things usually fire right up. If it's really bad, a cardboard box over the top keeps more of the heat in.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #12  
Last winter we had many -30 days. I tried my M135GX, which still had #2 summer diesel. Gelled fuel plugged the strainer at the tank outlet. T brought that into my heated garage and a week later it was still clogged. I tried several things over the next month trying to start it when the temperature exceeded +20. What it finally took was filling the strainer housing with Power Service 911 and then starting. For some reason just putting 911 in the tank didn't do the job. It may be that heavy shot of 911 going through the rest of the filters that cleaned everything out. Anyway until I did the 109% fill of the strainer housing I could get it to start and run for about 10 minutes before it started running rough and stalling. Then I would find that strainer housing filled with gelled fuel.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #13  
We heat with wood here, when this happened to me,
I filled the pail with hot ashes from the wood stove and let er sit under the fuel tank for 1/2 hr.
That did the trick, forgot to remove the pail and made a pancake out of it.
I also added 911 to the tank.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #14  
Once it's gelled up , just putting. 911 in the tank won't work . It needs to circulate through the whole fuel system. a new filter with 50/50 fuel 911 , will sometimes work.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter?
In our area, winter fuel is only good to about 10 deg. Colder than that, a fuel additive is required. Don't use the 911 stuff for already gelled machines, that can damage injectors and pumps over time.We use BG products and have no issues.Another trick I use to start gelled machines, is a 25 ' piece of flex pipe, dryer duct works in a pinch, put over my service truck tailpipe and the other end under fuel filters , inj pumps, or fittings at the top
Of fuel tanks that have iced up , etc. It doesn't burn everything up like a torch does. I sit in the warm cab for 15 min. , get out, and things usually fire right up. If it's really bad, a cardboard box over the top keeps more of the heat in.

That's a good idea. I have some flex pipe that I use to route exhaust from start-up out of the garage. Unfortunately the Kubota has to compete with other vehicles/equipment for garage space, it wins about half the time...

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #16  
Daughter bought us some chemical hand warmers for Christmas. Forgot about them and used a drop light with incandescent bulb to clear (probably) an icing problem on our TDI. In future, I'll attach the hand warmer to the side of the filter. It's such low heat, it should also be useful to warm up even the inline fuel filter underfoot on the JD 1025.

Think the temperature the hand wamers put out is about 108 F. That's ideal: warm enough but not enough to be a problem to plastics.

Ralph

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #17  
After having my old tractor stall in the middle of a dark country road, I decided I needed to get serious about the proper fuel.
What I order now in Ontario is called colored -40 diesel.
In the 20 years I have been using this I have never had a problem and I use it year round.
Cost in Dec 2014 was 1.02 per litre
Dave M7040

For certain. Why people play games with #2 summer diesel in the winter adding potions, elixirs and other sorcery or just taking chances with #2 is beyond me.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #18  
Why some people can't understand how summer fuel could remain in the tank when winter arrives and then requires the use of treatments designed for such situations is beyond me.

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #19  
Why some people can't understand how summer fuel could remain in the tank when winter arrives and then requires the use of treatments designed for such situations is beyond me.

Planning. You did not know that winter was on it's way?

/ Ever started after gelled fuel without removing fuel filter? #20  
Planning. You did not know that winter was on it's way?

1. You need fuel.
2. Winter blend is not available.
3. There's some left in the tank when winter arrives.

Logic 001.