"Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #31  
I didn't find the warning in that manual, either. It (#17 warning) does say not to have any other appliance plugged into the same circuit and also says not to plug it into worn receptacles that could cause a fire (#18 and #20).

As far as space heaters go, I have a Delonghi oil filled heater and prefer it over the ones that have fans because it is essentially noiseless, maintains a steady temperature, and gives off quite a bit of heat. As a supplemental heater, I'd rather have it than any other electric space heater I've tried, and I suspect your wife would like it provided your wiring and outlets are up to it.

As far as leaving it on unattended for a long period, personally I don't leave mine on overnight.

I agree with ponytug's recommendations to drain your lines and not take the risk. If the electric power goes off, your lines could freeze regardless of whether the heater is otherwise safe or not.

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #32  
I was referring to DFtodd's post.
It's a Kenwood. I couldn't find a model number on it. I've had it for probably 10 years

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #33  
During the "Ice storm of 2009" here in Kentucky we took a spare 2kw generator to my father in laws house to run two of the oil filled heaters to keep pipes from freezing. The little generator would not power both of them at the same time unless they were both on the lowest setting possible. Then we would leave and come back in the morning to refuel and the gen would be kicked out. My point is that those things use a lot of electricity and too many of them put a strain on your wiring.

RSKY

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #34  
During the "Ice storm of 2009" here in Kentucky we took a spare 2kw generator to my father in laws house to run two of the oil filled heaters to keep pipes from freezing. The little generator would not power both of them at the same time unless they were both on the lowest setting possible. Then we would leave and come back in the morning to refuel and the gen would be kicked out. My point is that those things use a lot of electricity and too many of them put a strain on your wiring.

RSKY
No surprise that two 1500W heaters won't run on a 2kW generator: 1500 + 1500 = 3000 = 3kW > 2kW.

Similarly, I was not surprised when my 3kW generator would pop its circuit when my well pump came on at the same time as powering two refrigerators and a freezer. Inconvenient, but no surprise at all, as a 3/4hp pump's starting wattage is right about 3000W - occasionally it would pop just from the pump itself even if I pulled the plug on the coolers. We were running the generator because we'd had to evacuate from a wild fire; good thing was that I didn't need the well most of the time, just left the little gen running the coolers part of the day.

Running a 1500W heater, or anything else pulling 1500W, continuously, is precisely what a 15A circuit is spec'd out to do (actually, they're spec'd to run 15A continuously, and your 1500W heater is likely only pulling 12-13A) and running one of them on the circuit won't "put a strain" on your wiring. Running two on one circuit? That would strain it, but there should be a 15A or 20A breaker on that which would pop if any threat of "strain" occurred.

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #35  
No surprise that two 1500W heaters won't run on a 2kW generator: 1500 + 1500 = 3000 = 3kW > 2kW.

I finally figured that out, LOL. Even with both on about the lowest setting the breaker would pop. Been years ago but I think we moved the 4k over there and used the 2k on our utility room freezer and fridge. At one time we had eight extra people staying with us and three generators going. None of the generators were over 4k. Interesting month!!

The extra people were with us because we had gas logs in a fireplace and a small cast iron stove. Wife actually scrambled eggs in a skillet on that stove.

RSKY

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #36  
I finally figured that out, LOL. Even with both on about the lowest setting the breaker would pop. Been years ago but I think we moved the 4k over there and used the 2k on our utility room freezer and fridge. At one time we had eight extra people staying with us and three generators going. None of the generators were over 4k. Interesting month!!

The extra people were with us because we had gas logs in a fireplace and a small cast iron stove. Wife actually scrambled eggs in a skillet on that stove.

RSKY
Redundancy is a great thing sometimes! I hope everyone appreciated your foresight and preparedness.

All the best,

Peter

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #37  
Redundancy is a great thing sometimes! I hope everyone appreciated your foresight and preparedness.

All the best,

Peter

Neither set of logs were actually planned for emergency heat. Both were installed because SWMBO thought they would look good. Worked out for the best BUT my widower father-in-law had to be persuaded to go back home after the power came back on. Heck, he was getting his meals fixed, laundry done, and all he had to do was sit and watch TV all day. Wife finally told her dad that his snoring was keeping us up at night.

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #38  
How much time does it take to obtain sensible heat from one of these oil filled space heaters?

I'm thinking to warm up a bath/shower room for the time it is in use. I hate planing ahead, and I take short and efficient showers. That is why I have a hot water storage tank....;-)

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #39  
How much time does it take to obtain sensible heat from one of these oil filled space heaters?

I'm thinking to warm up a bath/shower room for the time it is in use. I hate planing ahead, and I take short and efficient showers. That is why I have a hot water storage tank....;-)
Oil heaters aren’t good for quick warming up a room. They are intended for slow and steady continuous heating.

/ "Emergency heat" from oil-filled space heaters - advice please #40  
Oil heaters aren’t good for quick warming up a room. They are intended for slow and steady continuous heating.
Thank you mister obvious! ;-)