Electric Leaf Mulcher ?

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #11  
If you're into gardening, collecting and shredding leaves is great. I built one years ago from a blue plastic barrel, half hp motor with a disc holding weed eater line. I enjoyed the "work". Leaves need to be dry, dust mask and eye protection is required. Would have liked to try a commercial unit but the budget said not going to happen at the time.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #12  
Spike
Are you looking for something that plugs into a standard 115 VAC outlet? If yes then I suspect metal bender has the best idea in building something Vs potentially regretting that decision of buying something. Most standard outlets will handle 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #13  
Most std outlets will handle a one hp motor using a 12ga extension cord. A 3450 rpm motor is ideal. A suitable pulley with a plywood disc is easy, no machine work required.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ?
Spike
Are you looking for something that plugs into a standard 115 VAC outlet? If yes then I suspect metal bender has the best idea in building something Vs potentially regretting that decision of buying something. Most standard outlets will handle 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor.
Yes, I agree. I did not want to regret any purchase - the reason I wrote into the forum to see if anyone had experience with this type of off the shelf / store bought units. Guess I *could* try to build one as suggested by metalbender, but I seriously doubt I will. My leaf problem is not so bad to purchase a barrel / motor and all the parts I would need to rig up this for basically once a year use.
I have a corded wear on the shoulder blower vac/shredder. So, that is a workable solution. Yet, every year I use this, I say "never again". :) It is a royal PITA. It is slow, jams in the tube with sticks, and, well nothing good to say about it except it can work under ideal conditions. Even purchased the trash can kit that connects to the unit. A bigger pain!
Seems I will be using the shoulder unit again.... o_O:mad:(n)

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #15  
Could you get a grass and leaf bagging attachment for your riding mower? Or look for a used gas power chipper because people buy them, get tired of all the work, and then resell them after hardly using them.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #16  
As with many things, there isn't a cheap solution. Ten years ago I bought a Cyclone Rake. It seemed like a big investment, but after 10 years of use, it's as good as new. I look forward to leaf cleanup because it's fun to just drive around and pick them up. With the gator blades on the mower, they shred pretty well and compost over the next year. Think about your time and effort and where you will be 5, 10, or 20 years down the road.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #17  
I am considering an electric leaf mulcher, such as the Worx or Sun Joe model/s. Not certain what to call this type of stand-up units ?
View attachment 766304
I have owned a couple of the electric mulcher blowers - the ones with the bag on your shoulder. What a pain. I am DONE with those type units. You have to be an octopus to use, and the small branchlets (3-4 leaves with small connecting wood) clog up the machine all the time. I have huge amounts of post oak leaves that I use as compost if I can grind them up.
The trees are near where I have electricity, and I wouldn't mind raking a pile and carry to this type of machine - IF it works well.
So, I am asking is anyone has one like this, and some guidance / experiences.
I am NOT going to buy a gas engine type, nor use the carry the bag on shoulder model.
Any advice?
I used one similar to this years ago. Just uses some grass whips to do the leaves. Drop double handclasp of leaves, bzzzzzrp and drop. Won't handle little limbs pieces, etc.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #18  
Here's how it works for me.

cr1.jpg

win2020-1.jpg

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ?
Could you get a grass and leaf bagging attachment for your riding mower? Or look for a used gas power chipper because people buy them, get tired of all the work, and then resell them after hardly using them.
HA ! I ***could*** buy an attachment for my ZTR. BUT, $$$$$$$ WOW. It is NOT THAT big of an issue to spend THAT much !
A used one is a possibility but would want a good electric. NO MORE GAS engines if I can help it !

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #20  
I am considering an electric leaf mulcher, such as the Worx or Sun Joe model/s. Not certain what to call this type of stand-up units ?
View attachment 766304
I have owned a couple of the electric mulcher blowers - the ones with the bag on your shoulder. What a pain. I am DONE with those type units. You have to be an octopus to use, and the small branchlets (3-4 leaves with small connecting wood) clog up the machine all the time. I have huge amounts of post oak leaves that I use as compost if I can grind them up.
The trees are near where I have electricity, and I wouldn't mind raking a pile and carry to this type of machine - IF it works well.
So, I am asking is anyone has one like this, and some guidance / experiences.
I am NOT going to buy a gas engine type, nor use the carry the bag on shoulder model.
Any advice?
I'm sure that works just fine...for like if you live in a condo or something.

Like let's say leaves fall on your balcony, what to do with them? But see, if you mulch them with that there Workx shredder, now you could throw them out in your kitchen trash can w/o them taking up too much space.