Electric Leaf Mulcher ?

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #21  
Another way is to use a plastic barrel, put some leaves in and have at em' with your weed wacker right in the barrel. Lowest cost solution.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #22  
HA ! I ***could*** buy an attachment for my ZTR. BUT, $$$$$$$ WOW. It is NOT THAT big of an issue to spend THAT much !
A used one is a possibility but would want a good electric. NO MORE GAS engines if I can help it !
I am also of the opinion that the bagger attachments are hugely overpriced for a couple of pieces of fabric, support wire, and some plastic housings. The very stiff pricing of bagger attachments has a lot to do with many choosing inexpensive mulching blades.

Walk behind mowers with baggers are another less costly solution, but their bags hardly hold anything compared to a rider bagging system.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #23  
I am considering an electric leaf mulcher, such as the Worx or Sun Joe model/s. Not certain what to call this type of stand-up units ?
View attachment 766304
I have owned a couple of the electric mulcher blowers - the ones with the bag on your shoulder. What a pain. I am DONE with those type units. You have to be an octopus to use, and the small branchlets (3-4 leaves with small connecting wood) clog up the machine all the time. I have huge amounts of post oak leaves that I use as compost if I can grind them up.
The trees are near where I have electricity, and I wouldn't mind raking a pile and carry to this type of machine - IF it works well.
So, I am asking is anyone has one like this, and some guidance / experiences.
I am NOT going to buy a gas engine type, nor use the carry the bag on shoulder model.
Any advice?
I guess I'm a little confused, how are you planning on using it on a huge amount of leaves? That thing is tiny, you're gonna be at it for hours and hours and hours...and hours. It's gonna suck.

Do you have a spot you could just dump all your leaves and leave em there? You'd be surprised how fast the problem solves itself, especially if you got other organic stuff (nitrogen rich) you could toss in there, and maybe turn it over occasionally. Or dig a pit, toss the leaves in there, throw the dirt on top, then stir all that up. Next year, you'll be a able to grow a baby in that stuff!

Here's my pile:

PXL_20221025_143114441.MP.jpg

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ?
I guess I'm a little confused, how are you planning on using it on a huge amount of leaves? That thing is tiny, you're gonna be at it for hours and hours and hours...and hours. It's gonna suck.

Do you have a spot you could just dump all your leaves and leave em there? You'd be surprised how fast the problem solves itself, especially if you got other organic stuff (nitrogen rich) you could toss in there, and maybe turn it over occasionally. Or dig a pit, toss the leaves in there, throw the dirt on top, then stir all that up. Next year, you'll be a able to grow a baby in that stuff!

Here's my pile:

View attachment 768073
GeneV, I never said I had a HUGE number of leaves - depending on what you call huge. I would guess, if I could chop up all I wanted to "keep" it would be about (4) 50 gallon trash bags worth. The rest I would chop with the mower over the yard, or rake and burn up. But, doing the amount I guessed at with the over the shoulder bag shredder / blower cheap'o models is ... frustrating. To create that amount, I have not counted how many times I have to turn off to empty or unclog the shoot.
I use about the guess amount every year to create a ring out from my tree trunks. Keeps the grass from growing and I never have to trim / mow by the trees. Some chopped up in the compost bin too and some in flowerbeds.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #26  
GeneV, I never said I had a HUGE number of leaves - depending on what you call huge. I would guess, if I could chop up all I wanted to "keep" it would be about (4) 50 gallon trash bags worth. The rest I would chop with the mower over the yard, or rake and burn up. But, doing the amount I guessed at with the over the shoulder bag shredder / blower cheap'o models is ... frustrating. To create that amount, I have not counted how many times I have to turn off to empty or unclog the shoot.
I use about the guess amount every year to create a ring out from my tree trunks. Keeps the grass from growing and I never have to trim / mow by the trees. Some chopped up in the compost bin too and some in flowerbeds.
Ah well, I was just going according to this: "I have huge amounts of post oak leaves that I use as compost if I can grind them up."
But yeh, if it's just a few bags worth, I suppose that electric shredder would work just fine.

I myself have been experimenting with mulching options this year, on account of having a new mower and grass catcher.

Ah well, I was just going according to this: "I have huge amounts of post oak leaves that I use as compost if I can grind them up."
But yeh, if it's just a few bags worth, I suppose that electric shredder would work just fine.

I myself have been experimenting with mulching options this year, on account of having a new mower and grass catcher.
GeneV, correct, I did say it that way. To me there is a huge amount. Guess that was started incorrectly. I should have said "too many to keep messing with the over the shoulder bag leaf blower/vac" :) The post oaks (30-40' tall), four near the house, do drop a lot, but I do not "process" all the leaves for mulch or compost.
I purchased a new Hustler Fastrak ZTR this Spring. They make a nice metal side bagger that would be perfect - mesh wire but does not go to the back into bags, just hangs off the side. I thought, this is perfect. Then I saw the price and almost gagged. WOW
Sorry for the confusion. The electric model shredder may work. I started this thread ONLY to see if someone owned one and could give me a review. Had mixed feelings after watching Utube / reading reviews. My post oaks from many branchlets (3-4 leaves with connecting wood) and some users complain the string breaks all the time ?

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #28  
I wonder if there's an electric version that uses a flywheel type shredder instead of string. I'd guess if there was, it would be much more expensive than the string type.

I wonder if there's an electric version that uses a flywheel type shredder instead of string. I'd guess if there was, it would be much more expensive than the string type.
Yes, there are a couple of "reasonably" priced ones that have metal blades. They seem to call these "chipper / shredders" and can-do small branches. But, the reviews that I have found range from good to junk.. the ones <$200. Once I start going near or above 200 I lose interest.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #30  
GeneV, correct, I did say it that way. To me there is a huge amount. Guess that was started incorrectly. I should have said "too many to keep messing with the over the shoulder bag leaf blower/vac" :) The post oaks (30-40' tall), four near the house, do drop a lot, but I do not "process" all the leaves for mulch or compost.
I purchased a new Hustler Fastrak ZTR this Spring. They make a nice metal side bagger that would be perfect - mesh wire but does not go to the back into bags, just hangs off the side. I thought, this is perfect. Then I saw the price and almost gagged. WOW
Sorry for the confusion. The electric model shredder may work. I started this thread ONLY to see if someone owned one and could give me a review. Had mixed feelings after watching Utube / reading reviews. My post oaks from many branchlets (3-4 leaves with connecting wood) and some users complain the string breaks all the time ?
I gotcha about posting for a specific response...it also drives me crazy when I post for such a reason, and get all sorts of other advice. Sorry about that.