Electric Leaf Mulcher ?

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #1  

Spike56

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2355
I am considering an electric leaf mulcher, such as the Worx or Sun Joe model/s. Not certain what to call this type of stand-up units ?
1665739166458.png

I have owned a couple of the electric mulcher blowers - the ones with the bag on your shoulder. What a pain. I am DONE with those type units. You have to be an octopus to use, and the small branchlets (3-4 leaves with small connecting wood) clog up the machine all the time. I have huge amounts of post oak leaves that I use as compost if I can grind them up.
The trees are near where I have electricity, and I wouldn't mind raking a pile and carry to this type of machine - IF it works well.
So, I am asking is anyone has one like this, and some guidance / experiences.
I am NOT going to buy a gas engine type, nor use the carry the bag on shoulder model.
Any advice?

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #2  
If you really have a "huge amount" of leaves, you are going to spend forever mulching them through one of those. I've seen them work and they are OK for small amounts of leaves. I had an 8 HP gas mulcher and it was too slow, so I went to a Cyclone Rake which works well. How much is "huge" really? I compost several hundred cubic feet of leaves each year.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #4  
I've had a mulching mower for over 20 years and wouldn't be without one. A pass with one of them looks like you raked the leaves from it. I can say if I had to handle leaves ANY other way I would cut all of my trees down.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ?
Mulching blades on a riding mower will take care of most leaves with hardly much work on your part.
Yes, of course I can mow them. The whole idea for me was to use the chopped-up leaves for mulch / compost. So, I could mow them together into a pile, then rake them up. But I was curious about the electric shredders. If those worked really well, I could drop them in, and have a bag collect all the chopped-up leaves. However, I read some reviews and watched U-tube on these models, not impressed.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #6  
The DR line of mulchers and weed wackers seem impressive..??
PLUS.. they have a “free” 90 day tryout..
Idk how your built, but u could get one on a trial, do whatcha gotta do and return it.. I’m sure that happens a lot..

The DR line of mulchers and weed wackers seem impressive..??
PLUS.. they have a “free” 90 day tryout..
Idk how your built, but u could get one on a trial, do whatcha gotta do and return it.. I’m sure that happens a lot..
I am sure they are good machines. But my needs are way less than $1000+ AND that I know of, they are gas engine models. Learned the hard way that, for me, any gasoline powered gizmo that I use very infrequently has been more trouble than it is worth. I just need to do leaves during late fall. Do not need a chipper or any "serious" machine. Was hoping to find a simple / relatively cheap electric machine to process leaves into usable mulch. Raking is not a problem for me if I could just drop them in a machine to chop them up... alas the electric model shredders do NOT seem (based on reviews) to work that well. Several models use weed whacker string and it breaks frequently. The ONE model in my price range that had a metal impeller is said to clog a lot.
So my post was asking if anyone had experience with the electric models .... Quess not.

/ Electric Leaf Mulcher ? #8  
You will regret that thing unless you LOVE to work.

I used to have a rider and a rear bagger. Worked OK

Now I have a ZT and Gator blades. Works even better.

Yes, have a ZTR mower and have had Gator blades on my last one. Planning on Gator blades on new mower. But I do not have a bagger. So, can use the ZRT to chop the leaves, but still have to rake them up if I want to collect for mulch / compost.