EA grapple not an option now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / EA grapple not an option now what? #51  
I have been thinking of a grapple, but I don't need it to be heavy duty. I am plagued with a whole bunch of tumbleweed. Some of my own and some that blows in from north and south during strong winds. I have been working by hand gathering them off the fences and some out of the fields, but I have probably put in 30 hours so far. Since I know nothing of grapples, I was wondering what the consensus of opinions would be of a 72" Chinesium grapple for this work. I have found one online that will be $2400 to the door. My next option will be Homestead but that would be about $1000 more delivered. I would go with the better one if I was planning on major land clearing, but this will be a twice a year use implement and light duty work.

PS, I have come to really hate the old western Tumblin' Tumbleweeds song. Who in their right minds would try to romanticize those weeds from hell.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #52  
I have been thinking of a grapple, but I don't need it to be heavy duty. I am plagued with a whole bunch of tumbleweed. Some of my own and some that blows in from north and south during strong winds. I have been working by hand gathering them off the fences and some out of the fields, but I have probably put in 30 hours so far. Since I know nothing of grapples, I was wondering what the consensus of opinions would be of a 72" Chinesium grapple for this work. I have found one online that will be $2400 to the door. My next option will be Homestead but that would be about $1000 more delivered. I would go with the better one if I was planning on major land clearing, but this will be a twice a year use implement and light duty work.
Since your looking at basically twice a year use have you thought of pallet forks augmented with a "thumb"?

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #53  
By the time I bought suitable forks and the thumb, I would be at about the same cost. here is a sample of the Tumbleweeds I need to get rid of. Some of them are four feet in diameter. The pile in the first photo is just 3 or 4 trailer loads. I have a pile set for burning that is now 30' x 10' x 6' compacted as much as I could, and still have about a third more to collect. Burning them will likely take a day or so. I've already burned what I collected late last fall. I've been using a pitchfork to collect them, and they are so spiky and clingy that it's hard to get them off the tines.

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_120757.jpg
    IMG_20240320_120757.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20240320_151956.jpg
    IMG_20240320_151956.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20240320_152000.jpg
    IMG_20240320_152000.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
   / EA grapple not an option now what? #54  
So, having missed some things.. What happened to EA to make their grapples no longer an option?

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #55  
By the time I bought suitable forks and the thumb, I would be at about the same cost. here is a sample of the Tumbleweeds I need to get rid of. Some of them are four feet in diameter. The pile in the first photo is just 3 or 4 trailer loads. I have a pile set for burning that is now 30' x 10' x 6' compacted as much as I could, and still have about a third more to collect. Burning them will likely take a day or so. I've already burned what I collected late last fall. I've been using a pitchfork to collect them, and they are so spiky and clingy that it's hard to get them off the tines.
You need to convert a very large Snow Pusher and just push them into piles 😁

1711231354837.jpeg

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #56  
So, having missed some things.. What happened to EA to make their grapples no longer an option?
They are out of business. A lot of people got burned with their full payment in advance with a 4 to 6 month delivery. Most got a refund on their purchase from their credit card, many have not. probably 20% saw no refund, principally those who paid by check or debit card and those with 4 to 6 month old orders.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #57  
They are out of business. A lot of people got burned with their full payment in advance with a 4 to 6 month delivery. Most got a refund on their purchase from their credit card, many have not. probably 20% saw no refund, principally those who paid by check or debit card and those with 4 to 6 month old orders.
Ouch. Thanks..

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #58  
Omg. I thought those dang tumbleweeds were only in West Tx. What a pain.
Buy the best grapple/tool you can afford. You'll never regret buying quality.
Is your fence line a property boundary? If not, take the new root grapple and clear that nasty
scrub brush away from the fence.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #59  
Any cheap grapple will handle that stuff. I paid 1/2 of a “quality “ grapple and do firewood processing. Much heavier work than a pike of weeds.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #60  
Wr Long makes graples , I bought a bolt on one, seems to be decent quality

Status
Not open for further replies.