EA grapple not an option now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / EA grapple not an option now what? #62  
Omg. I thought those dang tumbleweeds were only in West Tx. What a pain.
Buy the best grapple/tool you can afford. You'll never regret buying quality.
Is your fence line a property boundary? If not, take the new root grapple and clear that nasty
scrub brush away from the fence.
The sagebrush is on neighboring range land. Most of the tumbleweeds blow in from the neighboring properties north and south. To the south is a federal game management unit.
You almost need heavy welders gloves to handle them nasty things. I've been using a pitchfork. According to the state weed board, they are an invasive specie brought into South Dakota mixed in sacks of flax seed in the 1870s and are actually Russian thistle.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #63  
I picked this one up at the factory a few years ago, about a 12 mile drive. No complaints so far.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #64  
I have been thinking of a grapple, but I don't need it to be heavy duty. I am plagued with a whole bunch of tumbleweed. Some of my own and some that blows in from north and south during strong winds. I have been working by hand gathering them off the fences and some out of the fields, but I have probably put in 30 hours so far. Since I know nothing of grapples, I was wondering what the consensus of opinions would be of a 72" Chinesium grapple for this work. I have found one online that will be $2400 to the door. My next option will be Homestead but that would be about $1000 more delivered. I would go with the better one if I was planning on major land clearing, but this will be a twice a year use implement and light duty work.

PS, I have come to really hate the old western Tumblin' Tumbleweeds song. Who in their right minds would try to romanticize those weeds from hell.
I had a grapple much like the one in your link.
Where the lid pivots was the week point. In a very short time the holes egged out and everything got sloppy. My first inclination was to do a redesign and weld in one inch ID bushings.
After figuring cost of materials and time involved I figured I'd be better off getting a heavy duty model. My original grapple cost about $1200 at the time and the HD model was $1800. (Now around 3k)
The new grapple has worked out great for me w/no issues.
The only downside is you need a tractor big /strong enough to lift it. I wouldn't want anything heavier on my L47 TLB.
IMO there is little need for a wide unit. I bought a 66in model to save weight. After using it a while I think a
100_1752.JPG
100_1643.JPG
60in would have worked just as well

My light duty model did work, it just started to self destruct after a while. If you don't work it hard it could last for several years. Or you could redesign the pivot.
BTW pay no attention to the dates on my photos. I sometimes forget to set the correct date when I replace batteries. I see that the manufacturer now lists on ebay. Security Measure

Last edited:
   / EA grapple not an option now what? #65  
I bought a 66in model to save weight. After using it a while I think a 60in would have worked just as well
I've found the same thing, although on a smaller scale. I bought a 54 inch but could have gotten a 48. That extra 6 inches really doesn't add much.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #68  
You can get too big of an attachment for the tractor. Last year I got a 7 ft mower for my SS. It was too big. Yeah it worked but it was too heavy and taxed the 50 hp motor in thick material. I sold it to the local water district that had a bigger SS and ordered the same unit in 6ft width. It's a perfect fit for a machine that carries a 5 ft bucket.

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #69  
I had a grapple much like the one in your link.
Where the lid pivots was the week point. In a very short time the holes egged out and everything got sloppy. My first inclination was to do a redesign and weld in one inch ID bushings.
After figuring cost of materials and time involved I figured I'd be better off getting a heavy duty model. My original grapple cost about $1200 at the time and the HD model was $1800. (Now around 3k)
The new grapple has worked out great for me w/no issues.
The only downside is you need a tractor big /strong enough to lift it. I wouldn't want anything heavier on my L47 TLB.
IMO there is little need for a wide unit. I bought a 66in model to save weight. After using it a while I think aView attachment 858781View attachment 858782 60in would have worked just as well

My light duty model did work, it just started to self destruct after a while. If you don't work it hard it could last for several years. Or you could redesign the pivot.
BTW pay no attention to the dates on my photos. I sometimes forget to set the correct date when I replace batteries. I see that the manufacturer now lists on ebay. Security Measure
Your comments on weight have me now thinking along the lines of the Homestead Implements version. Their's weighs in at under 400 pounds, whereas the ebay weight is 600 pounds, although that probably includes the Chinese angle iron crate

/ EA grapple not an option now what? #70  
I noticed Homestead Implements has gone from 4-6 week delivery to 5-7 week delivery.
Has anyone received a grapple from Homestead in the 4-6 week time frame? Wondering
if they are headed to 2-3 month delivery times, or will they be able to increase
production to meet demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.