Dump Trailer Concern

/ Dump Trailer Concern #21  
I have an older, heavier duty version of that same trailer. It uses the same type tailgate which does indeed become difficult to remove with a load against it. Loading the trailer at the front helps but depending on the weight, it can overload the hydraulic cylinder and make dumping difficult. I eventually modified the tailgate by welding hinge tabs on the outside and now use easily removeable pins to hold it in place. It wasn't a difficult job but welding skills are necessary.

A word of caution when using a compact tractor to move a heavy trailer. Most CUT's only have rear brakes and it's very easy for the trailer to get away from you on hills. When in doubt, I always back the tractor & trailer downhill.

Yes, you do have to pull away from the pile at full dump to completely empty the trailer. Depending on the material you're hauling, it can clump up and stick in the bed. A bed liner can ease this problem considerably.

I have a 7 pin connector on my truck which will charge the battery but I leave it connected to a battery maintainer when I'm not using the trailer.

/ Dump Trailer Concern
yea I live in 4x4 on the hills, I am aware the brakes are in the back only, what bed liner did you put in yours, I am primarily moving dirt dug out of the ground, is this trailer going to be a benefit? if i have to dig it out everytime, its going to get old fast.

good idea on the pins, I guess I will see, I am adding too many projects to my already overloaded list.

/ Dump Trailer Concern #23  
If I had it to do over, I would have bought a trailer with a split hinged tailgate. I understand this isn't an option on lighter duty trailers though.

I keep a roll of this stuff around for various projects. It isn't cheap though:

Dump Box Liner - HDPE

It works well for a bed liner. It's thick enough to to keep the trailer floor from getting dinged up when loading rock.

Make sure whatever you use is smooth & slippery. Corrugations or other surface irregularities will cause material to stick.

/ Dump Trailer Concern
are you happy with it? they want 4135 for it out the door with tags, seems expensive, but they are actually the cheapest in 250 miles.

it feels expensive for what it is.

/ Dump Trailer Concern #25  
I had looked at these years ago. I'm not sure how price would compare though. They have a few different models are made here in PA I believe.

/ Dump Trailer Concern #26  
are you happy with it? they want 4135 for it out the door with tags, seems expensive, but they are actually the cheapest in 250 miles.

it feels expensive for what it is.
I'm happy enough with mine. I use it mostly for moving dirt & fill around the acreage and hauling coal. I use it as a coal bin during the winter. I've had it quite a few years and aside from replacing the battery, it's been maintenance free.

Yeah, they aren't cheap but nothing is these days.

/ Dump Trailer Concern
I'm happy enough with mine. I use it mostly for moving dirt & fill around the acreage and hauling coal. I use it as a coal bin during the winter. I've had it quite a few years and aside from replacing the battery, it's been maintenance free.

Yeah, they aren't cheap but nothing is these days.
Well I bought it, after 2 out of the 3 didn't work, they left the beds up which I wasn't happy about, a bit of corrosion to deal with, has a kti pump which i guess is one of the better brands.

I will take a photo if anyone cares, pulled ok, still wish it had hydro brakes or something. Wiring is also pretty crappy and needs to be redone

Last edited:
   / Dump Trailer Concern #28  
Good catch on wiring issues. If you're using it in weeds, much less woods, any sloppy wire routing can snag. (Don't ask...)

The specs on my dump trailer says it inclines to 45*, even though it looks steeper. It always dumps 99% of clay, leaves, mulch, gravel, etc. Sometimes a little bit sticks in the corners but can break loose if you beat on the bottom. Steel bottom and sidewalls.

Fully inclined, there's probably a foot of clearance in back with the ground. You still have to pull forward a little while dumping a full load.

/ Dump Trailer Concern #29  
Fully inclined, a 300 lb pig can still stand in it...

/ Dump Trailer Concern
i was talking to them, all dumps are apparently 45.

almost already ripped off the license plate, what a joke with this stuff, i will install key rings to let it flap around.