Traction Drive train YANMAR FX24D

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #62  
Third here, Winston, sure would like a neighbor like you !! what did u attribute the failure too ? did u do bothe the ring and pinion ? Looks great...of course

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #63  
Third here, Winston, sure would like a neighbor like you !! what did u attribute the failure too ? did u do bothe the ring and pinion ? Looks great...of course

Thank you "all" for the kind comments. I am just going to go with what tractor Ernie has stated in former posts about these models being weak in that area and possibly not using an overrun clutch and shocking things. I have only changed the ring gear. I checked tooth contact with Prussion blue and set the backlash. I did this with GWSMITH's approval. The pinion looks untouched. The original ring and pinion are slicker than a mink. The aftermarket gears both have very noticeable machine marks left. Not claiming to be an expert by any means but I feel pretty comfortable leaving the original pinion because of the contact I am getting. It does come with a Sears & Robuck guarantee. :D Trying to be funny but anytime I do something like this my stomach sort of knots up until things prove out. Hoping to get it all back together and going this next week.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #64  
Now the bad news. I should have caught this before but when I picked up the tractor from GW I noticed the coolant level to be pretty low. To shorten the story I topped it off while waiting on parts. Upon cranking up and after running through the gears slowly, I then increased rpm and when I did so, coolant began coming out the overflow bottle. Upon a little further testing there was no doubt the head gasket was blown. Number 1 cylinder, I assume, the one closest to the firewall. Not positive the F series cylinders are numbered the same as the ym series. I'm posting a few pictures, not for instruction, just for those interested in what the FX24D engine looks like. A .002" feeler gauge would not slide under a straight edge in any configuration so parts are ordered to put it back together. Valves look good. You can still see hatch marks in the cylinders. Seems strange, but notice the inner firewall attached to the head. That comes off with the head. I check valve clearance before head removal. They all checked right around .008". Does anyone know for sure what the clearance is suppose to be? The head bolts on this thing are not re-usable and it takes 14 of them. I have requested torque value with my order. I am having problems with my picture program. If I get it going I will add some pictures later.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #65  
Good news and bad news. So far a success story on the ring and pinion gear. Have not really put a test to it yet. I cranked her off on jack stands to slowly run through the gears and check pto before taking to the road. Everything checked out ok so far. Knock on wood.
Well silly me, I had two windows opened waiting on my picture program and posted this thread last instead of first. Old age!:D

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #66  
Winston1, IIRC the valves are supposed to be set at .006. But I too am old and only providing this info from memory.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #67  
Some pictures.

Attachments

• 100_6485.jpg
    100_6485.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 100_6484.jpg
    100_6484.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 100_6483.jpg
    100_6483.jpg
    794 KB · Views: 320
  • 100_6486.jpg
    100_6486.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 560
  • 100_6480.jpg
    100_6480.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 785
  • 100_6481.jpg
    100_6481.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 427
   / Drive train YANMAR FX24D #68  
how were you able to set the backlash ? As you stated they match up very close and the mounting is such that setting backlash is almost install and make sure its not too tight...?

Great work

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #69  
Winston, thanks for all the pics. Get to see what the inner working of my tractor looks like without having to tear into anything. :)

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #70  
how were you able to set the backlash ? As you stated they match up very close and the mounting is such that setting backlash is almost install and make sure its not too tight...?

Great work

Notice shims 16, 17 and 18. This one originally had 3 of the .5mm shims. To get proper backlash I replace those 3 with one .005" shim. Cut it out of roll shim stock. One of reference 15s jobs is for the brake disc to run against on the outside. On the inside it holds a differential bearing and the shims that push it in or allow it to go further out. Very interesting arrangement. There is absolutely nothing to keep the differential from going toward the pinion except tooth contact. The small bearing (12) is free floating in the housing. Nothing at all to hold the large bearing (13) from coming in other than tooth contact.

The backlash actually varies from a tight .004" to around .008" depending on ring gear location. This run out is on the ring gear, not the pinion gear. I'm gambling this will work. I don't think we want to go looking for a new differential carrier. Checked this with a dial indicator at the tip of the ring gear tooth. This picture shows #15 pretty good. It rolls right up against that brake disc, shims go into the other side to push the bearing shown on the differential carrier toward the pinion shaft. I hope I've made a little sense here. :)

Thought I might add from what manuals I have the backlash should be between .004" and .006".

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 100_6398.jpg
    100_6398.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 348
Last edited: