Drift cutters

/ Drift cutters #1  

coupman35

Gold Member
Tractor
Now a L4060 had B2650
Am going to make some drift cutter for my rear 74 inch snowblower just wondering what size steel shude i use and how long will i need to go.

/ Drift cutters #2  
The drift cutters on my blower are about 18" above the deck. The taller you make them, the stronger the material you'll need. They need to be strong in both directions (forward/back and side to side), mine are stamped out of steel so they have strength sideways but still act like a knife to get through the snow. If I were making them from scratch, and I lived where you do, I'd probably use rectangular tubing that's about 1" wide by 2" deep with 1/8" wall. That would be easy to bolt on if you don't want to weld and has enough wall thickness to take a pretty good load. You can buy drift cutters for walk behind snow blowers, but I've not seen anything that would work on the size machine you have and the kind of snow you guys get up there.

/ Drift cutters
Can you post a pic of you drift cutters . Any one else have a set on there blow can you post a pic am looking for ideers .Thanks

Last edited:
   / Drift cutters #4  
Mine are 48 inches tall!
(And I need them later in the season)

I simply used 5/16 X 3 inch flat stock and that works just fine for me.
Going on 5-6 years with no problems.

/ Drift cutters #5  
I have a larger machine but they look very similar to this:

Drift cutter.jpg

/ Drift cutters #6  
Here is what worked for me. The square pieces keep the cutoff drifts from falling over the back of the blower. The square holes serve no purpose, just used what was on hand.
snowblower.jpg

/ Drift cutters #7  
This is what I fabricated and installed years ago using material I already had, 1/8" aluminum diamond plate.

And I also add 1/8" thick UHMW to the inside of the discharge chute that eliminated the springtime frozen chute

blockages (when the blower was new the inside of the chute was pretty slick with new paint, but that wore off).

KC

Attachments

• 20200108_134559_resized.jpg
    20200108_134559_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
   / Drift cutters
That pretty cool was thinking of something like that also .Am using a back snow blow but thing the snow will push on the plate i have 74 inch wide .Not sure if it will hold up .

/ Drift cutters #9  
I also have lined my chute with HDPE and confirm it helps a lot.
Another mod is that I made my skids longer and wider (about 3 X 10") and that keeps my gravel in the driveway where it belongs.

/ Drift cutters #10  
Not to hi jack the thread but... On two pictures I see a plate in the front open area on the chute.. Does that help to prevent clogging ? and if so how ?

Thank You