Drawbar towing.

/ Drawbar towing. #1  

Teufelwerk

Tractor
Kubota BX25D 2018
Sold my BX 25 "starter" tractor and upgraded to new L6060 with cat 1 3 pt drawbar hitch supplied by dealer. Tnought I was getting a cat 2 drawbar atrachment. The cat 1 has eleven 3/4 inch holes. I want to attach both 2 inch and 2 5/16 balls for moving wood chipper, splitter, empty flatbed trailer ( approx 3000 lbs with no load ). Tractor rear wheels are loaded. 2 inch ball is available with 3/4 shaft but smallest 2 5/16 ball comes in 1 inch shaft and up. So, can I drill one of the holes up to 1 inch or will I weaken the drawbar significantly? Are there other options, perhaps a way to attach a 2 inch hitch receiver to this drawbar? I have front pallet forks that I could possibly weld a receiver hitch to. Appreciate all thoughts, comments. Thank you.

/ Drawbar towing. #5  
Drawbar’s main drawback (lol) is that they have very poor load ratings for downward force. The can pull a crap ton but should be used for anything with meaningful tongue weight. Many 3PT options are available, you just have to be careful you always have tongue weight as it gets embarrassing real quick if they have any tongue lift!

/ Drawbar towing. #6  
get ready :)
:D

They were intended for tongue-pulled implements using a clevis hitch and pin. For use with a ball, they should be stabilized. Some use clamps that fit the draft links and others have an upright for the top link.

Or just follow "best practice" and buy a "trailer mover."

Bruce

/ Drawbar towing. #7  
I prefer to move trailers useing the loader. I have a $7 2in reciever welded to the cross arm of my SSQA. Then I just have to plug in what ever ball size I need.

I moved a 6klb camper around just this weekend.

/ Drawbar towing. #8  
I like jockeying trailers around with the skid steer with the forks on and a little adapter that slips on a fork, but the visibility is perfect vs the zero visibility of a tractor. Unless the receiver tube (with a tractor) is on the top of the bucket and fully to the side you can't see chit. Then it's usually too high to hitch to a parked trailer left at normal towing height.

/ Drawbar towing. #9  
I too would recommend that you buy a dedicated attachment for this, especially since they are so cheap. Another advantage is if you have any gooseneck trailers to move, not only can you put a drawbar with a 2-5/16 ball in the bottom for bumper pulls, you could use the 2-5/16 ball they have on top for goosenecks.

Something like this, there are many manufacturers. This one can take bale spears as well, which can also make it able to move lighter pallets around with the bottom two, if you have a hydraulic top link to tilt it with.
1702918268697.png

/ Drawbar towing. #10  
Sold my BX 25 "starter" tractor and upgraded to new L6060 with cat 1 3 pt drawbar hitch supplied by dealer. Tnought I was getting a cat 2 drawbar atrachment. The cat 1 has eleven 3/4 inch holes. I want to attach both 2 inch and 2 5/16 balls for moving wood chipper, splitter, empty flatbed trailer ( approx 3000 lbs with no load ). Tractor rear wheels are loaded. 2 inch ball is available with 3/4 shaft but smallest 2 5/16 ball comes in 1 inch shaft and up. So, can I drill one of the holes up to 1 inch or will I weaken the drawbar significantly? Are there other options, perhaps a way to attach a 2 inch hitch receiver to this drawbar? I have front pallet forks that I could possibly weld a receiver hitch to. Appreciate all thoughts, comments. Thank you.
I am guessing that you are referring to this type of "drawbar"
1702925172339.png

The lower bar in this picture is the actual drawbar.
1702925617997.png

When using a pull point attached to the 3 point just be aware that there is NO hold down force in the 3 point assembly.
While 3 point hitches are handy and versatile they do require one step often over looked, a chain or other travel limiting device needs to be used to prevent trailer loading from lifting the drawbars and raming things into undesired locations such as fender and fuel tanks.

In this picture at the bottom of the picture you can see the clevis attached to the tractors drawbar and to hooks in the hitch to limit upward movement.
hitch 6.jpg

another view showing the chains getting tight at the top of the 3 point lift
hitch 4.jpg