Comparison Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics.

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #21  
I have a JD 4320 HST, I love the size for my needs but like midwestern said in very good detail the cruise and load match is something you need for ground work, geared tractors are just that, each gear has a certain speed and you may find I more desired gear for ground work, with HST unless your watching your spedo which running a plough or something like that is not likely to happen so finding a good speed and setting a cruise would be the way to go on HST so things are more consistent.

Kubota and many other tractors have a dry clutch where JD has a wet clutch. Very few also have 3 range HST. I can't remember exactly, mine does but I was thinking the JD E series and non grand L have 2 stage but don't quote me on that, just pointing out more things to compare.

The brands of tractors are endless, best thing todo is find what dealers in you area have the largest network and ones you like the best because only buy something you can easily find parts for. In my area NH, JD, Mahindra and Kubota has the best network of dealers close by, I was most impressed with the JD dealer but found there E series had a cheaper feel to the tractor. I love my 4320 but it's no E series.

I would not hesitate to work ground with a HST, if you set the wheels way out wide that puts a lot of stress on the machine where it normally wouldn't have would be my concern, but that would be pulling the tractor hard for long hours at faster speeds, I'm no expert but I don't think it would be much of a prob under 1 mph.

I like my 4520 cab with HST and use it for a lot of ground engagement jobs. In Kubota's defense though I would say that there transmissions and range gear choices are often better than Deere. Kubota's dry clutch in front of an hst transmission is not really used for normal operation like a gear tractor. Unless Deere has a recent change in the new offerings the smaller compacts 1xxx and 2xxx are two range where Kubota offers a three range in the B series. The HST Plus/+ transmission that Kubota offers with the high low is a nice upgrade that Deere does not offer.

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #22  
May want to consider owning a second tractor. The second might be the gear drive in an older tractor that could be purchased for minimal cost. Yes, there is more expense with owning a second set of wheels but there is also more versatility.
Sounds like a two man operation so why not two tractors?

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #23  
I've never quite understood the additional stress on wheel bearings when moving wheels further out. I understand the increased cantilever effect has the potential to add stress to bearings, housing etc but I always come back to the fact that it's not adding any weight to the bearing.
So I understand the potential effect but how often and to what degree does it occur?

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #24  
I have a JD 4320 HST, I love the size for my needs but like midwestern said in very good detail the cruise and load match is something you need for ground work, geared tractors are just that, each gear has a certain speed and you may find I more desired gear for ground work, with HST unless your watching your spedo which running a plough or something like that is not likely to happen so finding a good speed and setting a cruise would be the way to go on HST so things are more consistent.

Kubota and many other tractors have a dry clutch where JD has a wet clutch. Very few also have 3 range HST. I can't remember exactly, mine does but I was thinking the JD E series and non grand L have 2 stage but don't quote me on that, just pointing out more things to compare.

The brands of tractors are endless, best thing todo is find what dealers in you area have the largest network and ones you like the best because only buy something you can easily find parts for. In my area NH, JD, Mahindra and Kubota has the best network of dealers close by, I was most impressed with the JD dealer but found there E series had a cheaper feel to the tractor. I love my 4320 but it's no E series.

I would not hesitate to work ground with a HST, if you set the wheels way out wide that puts a lot of stress on the machine where it normally wouldn't have would be my concern, but that would be pulling the tractor hard for long hours at faster speeds, I'm no expert but I don't think it would be much of a prob under 1 mph.

Just want to clear a couple of things up. I know you said not to quote you, but I am going to. Most of the Kubotas have three range HST transmissions. I don't even know if they make a 2 range. Maybe on a BX, but definitely not on any Ls, grand or otherwise.

Also, many tractors have hydraulic or wet clutches, including many gear shift Kubotas.

Lastly, under 1 MPH isn't gonna work for most draft tasks. Most of these type of implements have a speed requirement to do their job well. Usually closer to 3-5 mph. My 47 HP Kubota with a three range hydro has many wheel spacings possible. I would not hesitate to put my wheels all the way out, hitch up to a disc, subsoiler, plow, hay rake etc, and do what needed to be done. As mentioned by everyone, though if that's an all-day type task in your operation for many days per year, buy another tractor. Still have an HST machine, because for growing veggies they are THE *****, but also pick up some old iron. It's a no brainer.

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #25  
May want to consider owning a second tractor. The second might be the gear drive in an older tractor that could be purchased for minimal cost. Yes, there is more expense with owning a second set of wheels but there is also more versatility.
Sounds like a two man operation so why not two tractors?

This^

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #26  
I've never quite understood the additional stress on wheel bearings when moving wheels further out. I understand the increased cantilever effect has the potential to add stress to bearings, housing etc but I always come back to the fact that it's not adding any weight to the bearing.
So I understand the potential effect but how often and to what degree does it occur?

Leverage, not weight. Think of it this way, jack up your tractor from the rear end, right in the middle. The weight of your wheels and tires constitutes the stress on your wheel bearings and axle housing. It's well within the design parameters. Now, extend the axles three feet. How much additional leverage is there? How about if you extend them 50 feet? The longer the axle is, the more force it can apply to the housing, which stays the same size. Does that make sense?

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #27  
But if you look at it from the weight of the tractor standpoint, that is what applies the load to the wheel bearings. The weight doesn't change when you move the wheels out.
Moving the wheels out certainly increases the leverage that the wheels COULD exert on the wheel bearings but, again, the tractor doesn't weigh any more. The longer axle, with it's increased flexibility, provides increased cushion to shock loading on the bearings.
With that said, widening the front wheel tread by reversing the rims does put more stress on the steering.

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #28  
But if you look at it from the weight of the tractor standpoint, that is what applies the load to the wheel bearings. The weight doesn't change when you move the wheels out.
Moving the wheels out certainly increases the leverage that the wheels COULD exert on the wheel bearings but, again, the tractor doesn't weigh any more. The longer axle, with it's increased flexibility, provides increased cushion to shock loading on the bearings.
With that said, widening the front wheel tread by reversing the rims does put more stress on the steering.

I think you ought to keep running out through your mind. Same experiment, but but with weight instead of just gravity. Put your wheels on the ground, now pick up 1000# with the three point. Now move your wheels out 12" how about 12'? The weight doesn't NEED to change for the force to change. As I said earlier, as long as you're within the manufacturers provided settings, you should be more than fine, but the wider out you put your wheels, the more force there is on them.

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #29  
I use our HST (MX5100) to pull attachments all the time. Never have the slightest issue with the HST.
Good luck

/ Drag implements on John Deere Hydrostatics vs. Kubota Hydrostatics. #30  

Consider how a prybar works, it does increase the forces and a longer axle does increase the forces on the bearings.