Dog stories

/ Dog stories
pistol ehn yeah not a easy shot with that... it happens ...I had pointers and retriever and my experience is when they fly off then its pretty much game over for your dog, they can't follow the sent in the air... in your case if it initially fly off then fell and you chased it with you dog then yes you have a chance on finding it ... As dumb as these bird are they are master at diversion and camouflage sometime you think they flew off 300 ft in a straight line in the bush but then you find it 100ft in from where you saw it and off to the side while on your way back... or was it the same one ??

I mostly hunt with a 20 gauge because then if I see a duck I can shoot it, sometime I do hunt with my .17 but not often. I like hunting with my dog, they will inevitable make me miss a few opportunities but they will find a lot more bird that I wouldn't have seen without them... in my experience it take 3 season to have a pro hunting dog one can't expect too much of them the first two seasons. This year she started alternating between ground and air sent which is nice to see, she figured out they are not always on the ground.
My first dog, Musquash taught herself to find them. I believe they do leave some scent when flying as she always knew what direction to go in. You might hear her going back and forth slowly as she searched, then she'd stop. Pretty soon you would hear her coming straight back out and you knew her tail was up, her head was high and the bird was in her mouth.
She used to bring them back alive but must have gotten pecked as after a few years she developed a harder mouth.
One time I was with a coworker heading into the woods to start cruising. He stopped and shot at a bird but it flew off and he made no attempt to find it. We went 1/4 mile down the road to establish his starting point which just happened to be where he shot at the grouse so I opened the door and said " go find the bird." There was no hesitation, she ran down to where it had flown from, took off into the woods and came back with it in her mouth.
The last fall that I had her, birds were hard to find. I only shot one, that was in December with a foot and a half of snow on the ground. She was all crippled up but bolted out of the truck, ran to where it fell and started bringing it out. Several times she fell and I had to help her up but she wouldn't let go of that bird... I think she knew that it was her last one. I put it in the freezer without cleaning it. Two months later I buried it with her.
Ruger was a year old when I got him and always had a hard mouth, which I attributed to being hungry for the first year of his life. Yet he still liked to retrieve, I just had to be right there or he'd eat it. 🤔 He could be sound asleep in the back seat but all I had to do was reach toward the gun and one eye would open... pick it up and he'd be looking around for the bird.

/ Dog stories #83  
My first dog, Musquash taught herself to find them. I believe they do leave some scent when flying as she always knew what direction to go in. You might hear her going back and forth slowly as she searched, then she'd stop. Pretty soon you would hear her coming straight back out and you knew her tail was up, her head was high and the bird was in her mouth.
She used to bring them back alive but must have gotten pecked as after a few years she developed a harder mouth.
One time I was with a coworker heading into the woods to start cruising. He stopped and shot at a bird but it flew off and he made no attempt to find it. We went 1/4 mile down the road to establish his starting point which just happened to be where he shot at the grouse so I opened the door and said " go find the bird." There was no hesitation, she ran down to where it had flown from, took off into the woods and came back with it in her mouth.
The last fall that I had her, birds were hard to find. I only shot one, that was in December with a foot and a half of snow on the ground. She was all crippled up but bolted out of the truck, ran to where it fell and started bringing it out. Several times she fell and I had to help her up but she wouldn't let go of that bird... I think she knew that it was her last one. I put it in the freezer without cleaning it. Two months later I buried it with her.
Ruger was a year old when I got him and always had a hard mouth, which I attributed to being hungry for the first year of his life. Yet he still liked to retrieve, I just had to be right there or he'd eat it. 🤔 He could be sound asleep in the back seat but all I had to do was reach toward the gun and one eye would open... pick it up and he'd be looking around for the bird.
impressive she must have had a few years under her belt

The first time I get one with my dog I will clean it right there and give them the heart, then the first time they retrieve it I will do the same... is it something you have done ?

/ Dog stories
impressive she must have had a few years under her belt

The first time I get one with my dog I will clean it right there and give them the heart, then the first time they retrieve it I will do the same... is it something you have done ?
The first couple of years she got too excited... she literally stepped on a bird when she ran out to find it. When she was about 3 1/2 years old we were walking my property and a bird flew out of a tree. I took and "Oh Shtick" shot... left hand at shoulder height, right hand at my waist when I pulled the trigger and the cripple hit the ground running. She chased it down and after that she just knew what she was doing. 20+ years later I still think of it every time I walk under that tree... a bit of a feat since I have 15,000 plus trees on my property.

I used to give her the heart until somebody showed me that every bird in the area we were working had tapeworm. It was weird, gut them out and there would be a worm in the gut pile.

/ Dog stories #87  
One dog story that just pop in mind. Many years back I was riding my sled on a creek and I saw a area where it looked like there was a clearing, I though someone had a camp there so I went over and had a closer look out of curiosity. I got there and there was many dog houses, I though to myself ho someone used to have a dog sled team out here, until one dog came out... my heart skipped a beat right there, it was and is the scrawniest dog I have ever seen, only skin and bone you could see the whole spine and every ribs then I though ho F^%$ someone left this dog here to die. There was no tracks around and it didn't snowed for over a week, so I turn off my sled and a bunch of other dog came out all in the same condition but some where worse, some didn't came out they where frozen to death. It was a whole dog sled team, I called the cops, brought them to the site, for his investigation, later that day we went back and rescue them with some humane animal organization and they got them rehabilitated, at least as far as I know, none of them would've made the winter, the ''owner'' got later charged. If there is one day where I am glad to be curious it was that day.

this was the article written about it.

Last edited:
   / Dog stories #88  
One dog story that just pop in mind. Many years back I was riding my sled on a creek I came to a area where it looked like there was a clearing, I though someone had a camp there so I went over and had a closer look out of curiosity. I got there and there was many dog houses, I though to myself ho someone used to have a dog sled team out here, until one dog came out... my heart skipped a beat right there, it was and is the scrawniest dog I have ever seen, only skin and bone you could see the whole spine and every ribs then I though ho F^%$ someone left this dog here to die. There was no tracks around and it didn't snowed for over a week, so I turn off my sled and a bunch of other dog came out all in the same condition but some where worse, some didn't came out they where frozen to death. It was a whole dog sled team, I called the cops, brought them to the site, for his investigation, later that day we went back and rescue them with some humane animal organization and they got them rehabilitated, at least as far as I know, none of them would've made the winter, the ''owner'' got later charged. If there is one day where I am glad to be curious it was that day.

this was the article written about it.

the guys got 27k in fines and sentence to a year in jail and a year in probation plus he is prohibited to own any animal for the rest of his life.

/ Dog stories #89  
Our shepherd loves riding in the sxs. He sees one and hops in it and waits.

Now he's taking over the mini x. He doesn't realize that no room for both of us.

26197.jpg