Dog stories

/ Dog stories #11  
Grew up with a golden retriever, his name was peppy cuz I was so young when we got him couldn't say puppy. Still remember riding in my grandfather's old Ford f 100 pick up when we got him. So many somewhat humorous stories and great memories of him like I used to tie his leash to my bike while he casually pulled me around until one time . He saw a deer and bolted through the woods with me on the bike momentarily. He was an amazing mild tempered dog around younger kids. He lived a full dogs life.

/ Dog stories #12  
When I was about 6 we got a boxer puppy. He loved us little kids. But the older he got, the more protective he was while we were receiving a well earned spanking. One day that action went from comical to dangerous for dad. The dog backed him into a corner and a fight broke out.

When us kids woke up the next morning the dog was gone.

/ Dog stories #13  
I have a lab dog story from 45 years ago. I wrote it down in 2014 so I wouldn't forget the details.

Adventures of Mister Dog

On this fine Saturday in 1982, my girlfriend and I had a friend over for a visit, it started with a nice cup of coffee and a joint. As we chatted we played a bit of indoor beach ball.

We were a bit startled when we heard a knock on the door. Not that having someone knock on the door was so out of place for most folks but we lived far off the paved road down a 700 foot dirt drive. Mud road would be a better description since it just rained. Anyone coming back would be a friend and we would hear their car long before we would see them. When we opened the door, there was a young man dressed in a suit and tie holding a roll of paper towels. First thought was this guy was surely lost or some Jehovah’s Witness. But he stated right in stating he was with “Kirby vacuum” company and had an offer for us to receive a roll of paper towels if we would offer him the time to listen to his spiel on his fines wares.

After a few moments the fog cleared from our heads and taking in what was going on, we began laughing hysterically as one might expect after smoking a joint. I explained to this young man that we were not interested in purchasing a vacuum. Further, we did not even have electricity, let along carpet. In fact we didn’t even have a floor in our home.

I should digress and explain a few missing details regarding this said “home”. The home would be better described as a shack. Though modestly sized at 12 by 13 feet, much thought went into the construction. One day we saw an ad in the paper for “irregular” lumber from a local saw mill, $25 a truck load. I cut two blocks of wood to wedge between the axel and the frame so I could load the 1954 Chevy as full as I could. I wanted to insure I got my $25 worth. In two weeks time we were done enough to move in. The floor didn’t come for quite some time latter.

So where was I? Oh back to our Kirby vacuum salesmen. By now even the young man was also laughing hysterically. When we all could catch our breath he became aware of the fact he was not going to be selling us a vacuum cleaner but did ask if he could buy some pot. Again we began to laugh again. We said no. Suddenly, we heard our dog barking at the salesman’s van.

I should digress again. I need to explain the odd name for our dog, Mister Dog. Like many college kids at the time, they bought/found a dog as the semester began. By the end of the year these dogs were “redistributed”. We saw such an add in the paper and went to look at this dog, as the add described a cute lab mix. When we got there, it appeared to have a lot more “mix” than lab. But in any case, we took her home. Her name was Misty. I just couldn’t bring myself to call her Misty. Knowing we could find ourselves in a pickle changing her name, we decided to just “modify” her name to Mister Dog. And as all long names, was shorten to Mister.

So back to the exciting adventure of Mister Dog. As all three of us were standing at the door, we could see Mister dog was standing on the running board of the ‘80s conversion van barking through the open door. I shouted, “Mister, GET OUT OF the VAN!!. Mister Dog ignored us as usual but from the van emerged a heavy set Indian man with his hands over his head. He began to call for the young salesmen to return to the van, IMMEDIATELY!!

By now the laughing was uncontrolled. It was a scene out of a low budget movie, escaping with their lives. Tires a spinning with mud fling.

We never did get that roll of paper towels….

/ Dog stories #14  
First dog in my memory is a low slung black and white mutt we called Zeke that was part beagle part everything else.

She had many misadventures in a long, well lived life.

When my parents were first married, Dad bought an old beater Ford F-150 that was mud brown. After purchasing Zeke, she was laying on the dashboard being no more than a pup. Dad had the windows down and was less than 200 feet from the driveway when the dog suddenly sprung to her feet, bounced off the bench seat and out the window. As he relayed the story to me years later, his first thought was "Well, so much for that dog." but upon stopping, he found the dog unscathed and sitting by the side of the road.

She also survived being struck by a falling tree, being chased by a black bear, two small children poking at her and four cats. Didn't have a mean bone in her body and is the standard I compare all dogs to.

/ Dog stories
   / Dog stories #16  
Two stories about my German Shepherd Dogs
1) Strazburg never confronted anyone. Down in Chattanooga, stopped in parking lot to let the dog relieve itself. As we're walking around, I'm not paying attention and suddenly realize I'm behind a liquor with a rough looking character coming toward me. Strazburg, old by then, went to the end of his leash with fur standing on end, and never took his eyes off the fellow. "Does that dog bite ?" "Hell yes he bites." I lied. No further issue.
2) Casey, on a leash, and I out for a midnight walk in Mobile. A fellow comes about six feet away from me to ask directions. As we're talking, in an instant, he closes the distance between us to about 2 feet. But in half an instant, Casey's between us, standing on his hind legs with his jaws about 8" from that guys throat.
Both stories end with no confrontation. Casey died about 3 months ago after 13 years and Strazburg gone about 16 years. We're being checked out for suitability by a dog rescue facility. You understand why it's a German Shepherd Rescue

/ Dog stories #17  
My wife and i took in a Rottweiler from a divorcing couple. The husband, a police officer may have tought her a few "tricks". One was that she would let anyone into the house but then corner them which I learned when I heard my friend whom had come to help me with a project yell help!

She loved to ride shotgun in my truck. She absolutely hated anything on two wheels, bicycles, motorcycles, whatever. Coming up on an unsuspecting bicyclist, she would bark like crazy and scare the daylights out of them.

All in all, she was a good dog but i don't know that i would want another rottie?

/ Dog stories #19  
I was up on a ladder putting tin on a hay shelter. The young Heeler puppy was nosing about below. After a while I wondered where the puppy was and expanding my search I spotted a coyote in the field next door. Searching the area from my perch I spotted another coyote and then a 3rd all head down and merging on a central point. It was then I spotted the puppy in the brush field nextdoor.
She sensed she was in trouble and started running home. I leaped from the ladder and ran screaming as fast as my feet would go towards her. They were closing in fast. I could see the coyotes would have her in a moment.
I ran calling the dog for all I was worth and then some as I crossed the sandy desert road between me and the field, saw the puppy running hell bent for leather towards me and a coyote closing in on her. Running so fast I didn't get my foot high enough to clear the sand berm on the opposite side of the road. I went head first spread eagle into the ground in front of the rapidly approaching puppy now running for her life. The puppy ran over me and the coyote skidded to a halt and reversed kicking sand in my face as I sprang up and barked out a few choice words.
A close call for sure. She lived a long life.