Dog stories

/ Dog stories #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
We have two ongoing threads for posting pictures but I'm sure there are some good stories out there.
For me the only dog is a Lab. They have a good temperament and I'm not looking for a watch dog, although any pup's natural inclination is to protect one of the "pack".
A dog of mine goes to work in the woods with me, and visits any store where it is welcome; so must be friendly and well behaved.
I'm between pups right now and am determined to stay that way until spring... it will be interesting to see of I make it that long. :D

/ Dog stories #2  
My Heeler is not the friendly type. So I take him only to the vet. He is at my side constantly when I'm home which is 90% of my time. He sleeps up against my leg so he knows if I get up. He's 10 yrs old and blind now. Glaucoma. That's a bummer but he gets around all the places he knows here on the ranch pretty good. Still top dog in the pack of 6. Blindness is a bummer but we're buds and that's what matters. Good luck with your new pup.

/ Dog stories #3  
Dog story? A coworker of mine has a friendly lab and used to bring him to work when we went to the woods. One day we were cruising timber and his dog took off chasing an elk calf. We heard the chasing and soon the dog came running straight at us with a pissed off mamma elk behind him. The dog and the cow elk were coming right at us. We broke and ran behind a tree group and as the elk passed she was throwing mud up in the air and close enough to touch. After the excitement was over, I told my coworker to leave his dog at home from now on.

/ Dog stories
My Heeler is not the friendly type. So I take him only to the vet. He is at my side constantly when I'm home which is 90% of my time. He sleeps up against my leg so he knows if I get up. He's 10 yrs old and blind now. Glaucoma. That's a bummer but he gets around all the places he knows here on the ranch pretty good. Still top dog in the pack of 6. Blindness is a bummer but we're buds and that's what matters. Good luck with your new pup.
From what I understand, blindness is a lot more manageable to them as their nose is so much better. Still, it sux when they get older.

/ Dog stories #5  
Long ago - I went out on the big lake - Alkali - to retrieve some goose decoys. On my ATV. Wouldn't you know it - I found the only spring area on a 128 acre lake. My God - the water was cold. Three times I tried to pull myself up on the ice. Ice was just too thin to support me around the spring area.

The water was so cold - hard to breathe. I figured I was a goner. There on the shore sat my yellow lab - watching the whole thing.

Then I had a brain fart. I called Sam and he came right out to me. I grabbed his collar and pulled hard - like I was going to pull him into the lake also. You could see the fear in his eyes.

He went into 4WD REVERSE - he pulled me up out of the water and onto solid ice. Without a doubt - my lab saved my life.

He got a big 'ol T-bone steak when we got home. Even got to eat it in the house. Grease, fat and all.

It was very cold on the 1/4 mile walk back home but - Man - was I ever happy and so very proud of my dog.

/ Dog stories #6  
BTW - after 30 minuets in a hot shower - went back and retrieved the ATV. New battery and fresh oil - cranked right up and ran just great.

I know my little lake has numerous spring area. Never guessed the big lake had them also.

The lakes will ice over and get from 8 to 12 inch thick ice. However - the ice over the spring area can be 1/4 inch thick or less. Then you get snow. Completely covers the spring area. There is no way to determine if you are on thin ice - until you fall thru. Needless to say - I've learned a valuable lesson. Stay off the lakes in the winter. They can be real killers.

/ Dog stories #7  
My wife and I have rescued some dogs that had us going on some interesting road trips. We were living and working in PA. We finished up second shift and took off for Nashua, NH to get a French Beauceron. Poor guy was car sick all the way home.

My wife is not exactly a road warrior but she drove by herself from eastern PA to Beckley, W VA for a Belgium Malinois.

The last trip was in 2011 when we drove from where we now live in KY to Manchester, TN to meet someone from Alabama to adopt our boxer whom we still have. That was the day that Talladega got hit by a tornado. We only saw heavy rain but maybe the weather that day was a harbinger of things to come. The boxer has been a bit of a tornado so to speak.

/ Dog stories #8  
I have more dog stories than you have time to hear so I'll tell one with a theme you've heard several times but this one has an interesting twist.
Five year old half lab my brothers family raised from a pup had never once showed aggression despite being prevoked on several occasions. The dog had a weird habit of standing behind family members and poking her head from between their legs while they talked to the postman or other visitors. A middle age friend of my brother brought his soon to be wife by the farm to introduce her. The dog barked a few times to alert company is here then took position peeking from between brother's legs. As the couple approached the dog's hair stood up and she began barking and snarling. Naturally the woman returned to the car and closed the door. My brother scolded the dog and apologized profusely but the lady chose to stay in car,,,,,,,with window up while brother and visitor completed a short,akward visit. The couple married in a few days then less than six months later she killed her husband and injured his adult daughter during a business meeting with a pistol courts forbid her to carry. My brother and his wife swore the dog detected evil and acted on it. Up until then my brother thought it comical but my sister in law hated it when the dog peeked from between her legs but from then on she took comfort in being protected and even gave head pats occasionally.

/ Dog stories
Years ago I worked with somebody from Vermont who told of being out in the woods when his dog got into a porcupine. He didn't have pliers or anything with him so pulled the quills with his teeth.

Those Green Mountain boys are TOUGH!