Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ?

/ Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ? #1  

Ductape

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Upon the advice of our Vet, we are switching to an adult dog food. He does not push any particular brand over another, so we are looking for opinions. We had been feeding him the 4 Heath brand from Tractor Supply, but it doesn't seem to be agreeing with him. I'm talking about bagged, dry food. Would prefer to stay away from anything that might be manufactured in China.... if any are, based on past news stories. Anyone got opinions on which brands might be better quality than others (and where they are made if known)?

/ Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ? #3  
   / Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ? #4  
Believe it or not but we have a fussy Beagle that would refuse to eat most dry dog food. We tried Purina, Iams and a couple other brands before trying Ivet. For the last two years he hasn't protested it yet. Down side I think it is only available though vet clinics.

/ Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ? #5  
Upon the advice of our Vet, we are switching to an adult dog food. He does not push any particular brand over another, so we are looking for opinions. We had been feeding him the 4 Heath brand from Tractor Supply, but it doesn't seem to be agreeing with him. I'm talking about bagged, dry food. Would prefer to stay away from anything that might be manufactured in China.... if any are, based on past news stories. Anyone got opinions on which brands might be better quality than others (and where they are made if known)?

We are currently using three different brands of dog food (dry) and I will not tell you how many dogs.

What kind of problems does your dog seem to be having and what are the ingredients of 4 Heath brand from TSC?

The reason I ask about the ingredients is that years ago we were feeding a very top end food and had a dog who was having all sorts of GI issues. Bottom line he was allergic to one of the ingredients in the food. We finally sorted that out but have been very aware of the ingredients in dog food ever since.

I can tell you what I like and dislike about several brands but some are better than others depending upon what issues your dog is having.

/ Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ? #6  
I too searched for answers years ago when I had a lab with epilepsy. We changed his food to a beetr grade and he stopped having them. It was Blue Buffalo, they did not or have not had any recalls. Now we have another dog with epilepsy, and have not had any luck curing them. We just started a raw diet, not something I would recommend for you.
For an independent study check here to decide on which brand best suit your dog Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor and stay abreast of recalls.

If you decide on your own,be sure at the very minimum the first 3 items in the ingredients are whole meat. It can be chicken,beef,fish,or a combination of. With whole meat, the manufacturer must meet USDA standards. Which unlike by products, there are no standards.
Our family has been very happy with Blue Buffalo for many years, they have a diet for overweight dogs as well. And healthy treats. They can be found at many feed stores. Good luck with your best friend!

/ Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ?
We are currently using three different brands of dog food (dry) and I will not tell you how many dogs.

What kind of problems does your dog seem to be having and what are the ingredients of 4 Heath brand from TSC?

He was fine with the 4 Health for the past couple years, before that we bought Iams, but had a problem here getting our hands on it (we were told Iams was bought out?). Just been the past few weeks that we have eased him onto the adult 4 Health that he has had terrible gas. He seems to be itching alot also, though I'm not 100% sure that is the fault of the food at this point.

I would like to try something that is widely available, whether at a grocery store, TSC, Agway, or whatever. Like many other products, I'm just not sure an expensive brand always means higher quality dog food ?

P.S. Like alot of other folks, we do mix a forkfull of canned food in with his dry to make it more appealing. The canned we have been buying is Iams.

/ Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ? #8  
I feed all my 4 lab chow hounds dry food from Costco [Kirkland ] (gray bag: Healthy Weight). Its chicken and vegetables. I occasionally give them some blue bag stuff (Mature dogs). Whenever there is a broken bag, they give it to me for 1/2 price. Otherwise its $22 for 40 lbs.

Been the route of Purina and Iams. Thy all developed dry skin and allergies from Iams. I have old horses here, too. They get Purina Equine Senior. Guess who has learned to open the garbage can for a feed fest ! But, its a great treat. My dogs also like cheese, asparagus, deer jerky, mini wheats, pizza, oatmeal(instant), rice, steak, Ballpark Franks, and leftover chicken. One of them likes horse poop. What can I say...

I feed them 3 times a day. Their weight is now perfect for their age and size. The 11 year old has had two knees fixed caused by OCD Frisbee chasing. A baby aspirin (coated) every day makes him as good as new.

See my recent dog's confessions (attached).

/ Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ? #9  
As mentioned several posts up, there are several dog food ratings sites.. Typically the better dog food is NOT available in 'normal' retail stores (ie walmart, food lion, kroger etc).. BUT TSC does carry blue buffalo and Wellness - both of which get above average reviews.

We buy Wellness Core (it is a grain free food) and so far have had excellent results with it - we were having allergy issues before the switch..

We dont worry about buying locally, but the private pet stores do carry a LOT (or most) of the top brands on the review sites) - we use petco.com - free FedEx shipping with a purchase over $49 (which is not an issue with the +/- 30# bags..

Brian

/ Dog Food Brands........ Good, Bad ? #10  
He seems to be itching alot also, though I'm not 100% sure that is the fault of the food at this point.

Itching is/can be a definite sign of an allergen in their system. Are you talking body itch or feet. Feet will manifest an itchiness and excessive licking of the feet which is almost certainly from an allergen. Body can be a lot of things from fleas to dermatitis from lots of causes. Dry flaky skin can be from not enough oils in the food. I have known of people that put olive oil in their dogs food but I like using a food with good Omega 3/6's from natural sources. The type of oil/fat in the food can cause problems. Sunflower oil we found to be a big GI problem with the one dog. (California Natural - Chicken, rice sunflower oil) Other dogs have allergies to certain proteins, Beef and chicken are common. We currently feed Natures Recipe Venison and Rice but will soon stop it as that dog has passed but are finishing the bag. Taste of the Wild Natural Salmon as that is for the salmon oil for coat development and Canidae All Life Stages Formula (4 meat) which is our mainstay for all the rest of the dogs. Really like it as a food. It comes in single meat source and the 4 meat source.
My sister raises Great Danes and feeds the Kirkland food and likes it. Never have tried it and most likely never will.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
The E-B Line 2-Bottom Plow (A33349)
The E-B Line...
1974 Ford F-350 11' Aluminum Flat Bed, 360 V-8 Gas 4-Spd. Trans., Power Ste (A33349)
1974 Ford F-350...
Milwaukee 1/2-Ton Electric Hoist (A33349)
Milwaukee 1/2-Ton...
BONANZA AIRCRAFT (A32908)
BONANZA AIRCRAFT...