Does Propane go bad?

/ Does Propane go bad? #11  
I've never heard of propane going bad for a homeowner. I do know if it gets cold enough ( below -44F ) the propane will remain in liquid form and not produce vapor pressures. Our 100# propane tank was in a small enclosure with a heat lamp when we lived in Glennallen, AK. On with the heat lamp - wait five minuets - the gas kitchen stove would then work. The tank would begin loosing pressure around -15F.

/ Does Propane go bad? #12  
The industry uses propane often for 6 years or more between turnarounds (maintenance shutdowns). It does not degrade.

Propylene might react with other things, but propane is pretty much inert. Again, industry uses closed circuit propylene refrigeration for 6 years or more with no problems and going through rather extreme temperature cycles from -40 F up to about 220 F.

/ Does Propane go bad? #13  
They aren't 'tanks' anyway. The correct term is 'Bottle'. Tanks are always non pressurized containers. Bottles are pressurized. Here in the states you get them recertified every 10 years (just like pressurized welding and medical gas bottles). Tanks don't require any certifications other that be built to ASTM specs prior to sale.

/ Does Propane go bad? #15  
100LB cylinders is the correct term. A DOT cylinder is sold by the weight so a 100LB cylinder holds about 23 lbs of propane propane weighs 4.23 lbs / gallon. An ASME tank / vessel is sold by the gallons. Tanks are a pressurized vessel built to ASME standards. The relief valves for DOT vs ASME have different set points.

/ Does Propane go bad?
They aren't 'tanks' anyway. The correct term is 'Bottle'. Tanks are always non pressurized containers. Bottles are pressurized. Here in the states you get them recertified every 10 years (just like pressurized welding and medical gas bottles). Tanks don't require any certifications other that be built to ASTM specs prior to sale

That is why they call them SCUBA bottles right?

/ Does Propane go bad? #17  
That is why they call them SCUBA bottles right?
Depends on who you talk to... All I did was put down the correct terms as they relate to tanks and bottles. I really don't care one way or another what you call them.

Like the venerable 'Crescent Wrench' Not a Crescent Wrench but an adjustable open end wrench. Crescent is the name of a Tool company.

Kind of like all the different names for a turd..... :p

/ Does Propane go bad? #19  
NO. Well, unless you burn it.

/ Does Propane go bad?
Depends on who you talk to... All I did was put down the correct terms as they relate to tanks and bottles. I really don't care one way or another what you call them.

Like the venerable 'Crescent Wrench' Not a Crescent Wrench but an adjustable open end wrench. Crescent is the name of a Tool company.

Kind of like all the different names for a turd..... :p
Exactly!! Then why comment?