Does anyone have a solution for Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestis)?

/ Does anyone have a solution for Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestis)? #1  

RockWrangler

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 20
Puncturevine has taken over about a half-acre of rocky thin soil and is spreading rapidly. I sprayed the area with Spectracide to get rid of other weeds, and the puncturevine immediately took over the bare area. It grew so fast it got a headstart on me, and now nothing seems to stop it. I tried Spectracide, Ortho Groundclear, Roundup, and Eliminator. Each herbicide is chemically different than the others (although some share chemicals), but the puncturevine seems resistant to everything. The plant is too low to mow, and I am out of ideas.

Has anyone had success dealing with this thing?

Thanks for your help.

/ Does anyone have a solution for Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestis)? #2  
Pour a Pot of boiling water on it maybe That will usually kill most anything.

Gasoline??? Diesel fuel???

Maybe one of these propane weed torches???

Screenshot_20220826-173713_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

/ Does anyone have a solution for Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestis)?
Pour a Pot of boiling water on it maybe That will usually kill most anything.

Gasoline??? Diesel fuel???

Maybe one of these propane weed torches???

View attachment 759855
I have one of those torches, in fact my wife suggested I use it for the puncturevine. The problem is we live in a high fire danger area, particularly at this time of year. Several thousand acre wildfires occur frequently. Last year I spent half the summer inside to avoid the smoke. Criminal charges will follow if I use the torch and things get away. I just sprayed the area with a concentrated dose of glyphosate this morning, the primary chemical used in Roundup. Now we wait ...

/ Does anyone have a solution for Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestis)? #4  
Have you used any surfactant with any of your chemicals? Reason for asking is the pictures look like that plants leaves could have a wax like coating on them that reduces the absorption of the chemical. A surfactant will help penetrate the wax and also makes the chemical cling to the leaves longer.

Big question is get rid of this what will replace it next.. :)

/ Does anyone have a solution for Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestis)? #5  
Thanks for the replies:

Regarding surfactants, the leaves are actually a bit fuzzy, not waxy.

Regarding Crossbow, WA State has declared it and its relatives restricted use only.

Vinegar? I haven't tried it. If the stronger dose of glyphosate doesn't work, I may try the horticultural vinegar.

The plant is a nasty character for sure. I don't know if I have ever seen a more aggressive thorn: long enough to puncture tires and sharp enough to puncture nearly anything.

Can you get a Private Applicators License?
Private Applicator License.
I have done a little looking in that direction, but any time I have to ask a government functionary for permission, I get a bit rankled. I spent my time in the military and learned how to say, Yes Sir!, but I still get irritated. Napoleon used to call his veteran soldiers "Grumblers." I understand.

/ Does anyone have a solution for Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestis)? #10  
The only reason I keep mentioning the Private Applicators License is that mine, for Mississippi, took only about 10 or so hours on my laptop.
And I'm figuring things might get tighter.