Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades?

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #21  
I will need scarifiers for my particular driveway, I think. Right now I'm using a beat-up old Gannon roll-over box blade...
Doesn't the Gannon have scarifiers? My Rhino Ag roll-over box blade has 3 positions, pull, push or use scarifiers & pull.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #22  
I believe the adjustments actually serves 2 purposes.

1. Allow for wear as some have said.
2. Allow just the blade section to be replaced if damaged by rock etc. Otherwise a bend here would junk the entire attachment.

I'm sure there are other advantages related to assembly labor, like being able to mount the blades before the blade frame is attached to the main frame.

I would add having scarifiers is a really nice feature. Feeding the blades loosened material will make them more effective at getting to level faster.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades?
I've had both, you want adjustable cutting edges. I currently have an EA and it's lack of adjustability is a point of frustration for me. They work much better when you can adjust the cutting depth. Also the cross tube part of the frame isn't high enough above the leading cutting edge so it plugs up easily.

Everyone is going to tell you to just buy a hydraulic top link, that does not solve the problem.
Thank you!

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades?
Doesn't the Gannon have scarifiers? My Rhino Ag roll-over box blade has 3 positions, pull, push or use scarifiers & pull.
Well, it should, but it's so beat up that it only has 3 of them and the tips on those 3 are completely gone. I only paid a few hundred bucks for it and I use it more for its counterweight properties than its grading capabilities.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #25  
My Woods land plane has adjustable skids. They're useful for enabling the outside edge to dig more to help set a crown, and to control the overall amount of cut. My tractor has a hydraulic top link, but with well-adjusted skids, it's so much easier to drop it to the ground, and have it work perfectly, without fussing with the topping lift every time I go over a crest or dip in the driveway.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #26  
This time of year my mile long gravel driveway turns to concrete. Over the 40+ years it's been here - the wind has brought dust, volcanic ash, etc onto the surface. All combine to make a VERY HARD surface. It's soooo hard - you can smoke the tires on your car and only leave rubber marks.

If I use my LPGS without the scarifiers - even at 800# the LPGS will have a tough time "breaking" the surface and doing its job of smoothing. One pass with the scarifiers down just an inch or so is all it takes. Most of the time the LPGS is used to fix shallow pot holes.

First pass with scarifiers down an inch or so. Second pass the scarifiers are down enough to stir up the very bottom of any pot hole. Then a few passes with the tractor to pack everything down.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #27  
I have a 60" LandPride behind my L4060. Track is 72" so it's a foot to narrow. But even with loaded tires I can run into traction limits. So it ends up being about the right size I guess.

I'd say an adjustable blade should be important in theory. But I haven't ever adjusted mine in years of ownership or felt the beed to think about it. So as a matter of practice, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #28  
My M6040 with FEL/grapple/rimguard loaded rear tires/LPGS will weigh right at 10,000 pounds. I always run in 4WD when using the LPGS. With scarifiers down - the LPGS can bring the tractor to a slow stop - if in 2WD. I really don't like digging holes with the rear tires.

Same with my eight foot Rhino 950 rear blade. 4WD provides the best results.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #29  
I have a Landpride GS2584 with scarifiers and adjustable blades. I have never once adjusted it and I have never once found the need for scarifiers.
I ended up buying a heavier duty grader made by Road Boss because I managed to bend my Landpride.

The Road Boss doesn’t have scarifiers, and has never needed them. It also has adjustable blades and although I haven’t adjusted them, I like having the option, because it is set rather aggressive from the factory considering my small tractor and HD land plane.
I do believe I will use the adjustability of the blades at some point, and I would recommend getting something adjustable. However, if you find a good deal on a used one that isn’t adjustable, don’t pass it up just for that reason, it’s obviously not a critical feature.

The difference between the Road Boss and Landpride is VERY noticeable! The Road Boss works considerably better in hard pack and I like the longer sides. It also has a lifetime warranty, and is built much better.

Landpride 846lbs vs Road Boss 1,100lbs
The Landpride is no slouch, but I was disappointed in how easily it was damaged. I know that a lighter duty 1584 would be very disappointing for my uses.

DSC00308.JPG

4986ACCA-CADD-4BDE-933D-CE807E8BAE37.jpg

38FA3364-A2D8-4B79-8DB5-5B335B56EB0E.jpg

9C3C1957-2F6D-4F68-A094-6E4E085AACC7.jpg

Last edited:
   / Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #30  
I have a land pride 84 inch model. It has 2 fixed blades. Honestly I'm not impressed with this attachment for road maintenance. It tends to dig deep and both blades angle towards the same side, resulting in a lot of material being thrown to one side. I would have liked to see opposing cutting edges and some type of depth control like hydraulic wheels or such. I disliked it on the road where a box scraper works wonders, but it works wonders in the soft dirt for weed abatement... meaning it shears all small growth and leaves a rockfree patch of dirt flat and clean. Immovable rocks embedded in the earth play havoc with this device, kicking it up and leaving a mess.