Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades?

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #31  
Piston - perhaps one of the reasons the Road Boss does not need/have scarifiers is because the leading blade is TOOTHED. That added weight doesn't hurt either.

The Road Boss is a very fine looking implement.

Strange - my Land Pride GS2584 does not move material horizontally - not at all. SCOOTR - if the blades are digging too deep - adjust them. They ARE adjustable to cut shallower.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #32  
Piston - perhaps one of the reasons the Road Boss does not need/have scarifiers is because the leading blade is TOOTHED. That added weight doesn't hurt either.

The Road Boss is a very fine looking implement.

Strange - my Land Pride GS2584 does not move material horizontally - not at all. SCOOTR - if the blades are digging too deep - adjust them. They ARE adjustable to cut shallower.
Same. I got a back blade for crowning, No matter how i tilted it or tried could i get my LP land plane to move material sideways. The only thing that worked was doimg a herringbone pattern & lifting the 3pt in the middle to dump a small pile. Then comming back down straight to smooth all th small piles into a crown. It worked, but was really slow. Land planes just dont move material sideways even with 2 blades angled the samr way.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #33  
Thanks for the replies about the sideways material movement. I'll revisit the material action when I use it again. I guess I don't understand how it cannot move loose material sideways with both edges slanted to one side. After all that how a grader blade moves material And I had seen other planes with opposing angle blades which I assumed either cut better or kep material centered better or both. I could be wrong. This implement is new to me.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #34  
Thanks for the replies about the sideways material movement. I'll revisit the material action when I use it again. I guess I don't understand how it cannot move loose material sideways with both edges slanted to one side. After all that how a grader blade moves material And I had seen other planes with opposing angle blades which I assumed either cut better or kep material centered better or both. I could be wrong. This implement is new to me.
A grader, back blade or snow plow is nearly vertical. The blades on a LPGS are usually 45 degrees or so. Not enough vertical face to push material sideways.

Angle on an LPGS is there so the blade hits a lump or ridge in 1 spot. More weight bearing down on 1 spot cuts. If it hit a ridge straight on it would likely jump or bounce & not cut.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #35  
SCOOTR - it's like FALLON said. It's all in the design of the implement. The land plane is designed to cut the surface and have the material move up and over the blade. The rear blade is designed to cut the surface and with the tall blade - the material CAN move horizontally. Providing you have your rear blade angled.

The blade on the LPGS is not tall enough to contain and move the material horizontally. At least, not much of the material.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #36  
I'm gonna have to use it more and learn for myself. I suspect you guys are correct. It did a great job on some rock free dirt where I was doing weed abatement with it... cutting the wild mustard and T-weed off. If that's all it does it is worth it to me there.