Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart?

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I have little need for an anvil,, but, I might be able to acquire a 200+ pound anvil.

I surely do not want that monster taking up shop space, to end up collecting dust,,
so, a SUPER HEAVY DUTY cart would make the anvil useful, but, still be able to be moved out of the way,,

Is an anvil cart even possible? or does the anvil stand need to sit directly on the floor?

Obviously, I do not know much about anvil use,,, But, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express the night before I bought a couple sledge hammers,,, :D

HELP. what should I do?? :confused:

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #2  
Do you have a pallet jack in your shop? If so, mount the anvil traditionally on a stump and chainsaw “shelves” or tapers on two sides for the forks to lift.

I did that for my 300# Peter Wright but it is quicker just grabbing hold of the anvil and “walking it around”. And I’m NOT a big guy.

IMG_7472.JPG

This 3 legged stand with a 200 pounder is also easily moved with a pallet jack.

IMG_2427.JPG

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #3  
Do whatever is necessary to procure the anvil.
They're bringing stupid money.
Let it collect dust if need be.

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #4  
Do whatever is necessary to procure the anvil.
They're bringing stupid money.
Let it collect dust if need be.

But is that not the attitude that drives the price up?

I say buy it and use it.

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart?
Hmmmmmmm,, maybe I could make a cart with pneumatic tires,,
and deflate the tires when I want to use it,,

Then, inflate the tires when I need to move it,,, :confused:

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #6  
The Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table would be a good mount for your anvil. A little modifying it to put stabilizers under it for when its in use would help. But it'd sure be portable with height adjustment capability.

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #7  
We had a good one when I was growing up...it sat on an oak stump outside for about 60 years or so...it outlasted the stump by over 20...don't worry about the anvil...it will "live" long past your need for it...shrps74

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #8  
I move a 100 pound anvil around all the time with hand truck... BUT a 200 pounder would be better placed where it will be used and left there and not moved.....

Dale

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #9  
I got tired of mine taking up space inside my shop and mounted it to a large pine log cut to about 24" long. I just placed it outside my shop doors so it is out of the way. I can roll it around if needed but it is a small anvil of around 80# I would guess. I found it in a pawn shop 10 years ago for $40. Flea market close by had one about twice as large but they wanted $400 for it (stupidly priced) and it was all chipped up. Mine is pristine and serves me well.
I have a couple of 7 foot long railroad tracks mounted on my disc for weight. They also make a good hard surface to pound on things if needed.

/ Doea Anyone Have A HEAVY Anvil Cart? #10  
I don't have an anvil but my 6" vise is mounted on a cart. The cart surface is 1/4" steel and measures 3' x 3'. The cart is made with 1/4" wall, 2" square tubing. The wheels and casters are rated at 1200 or 1500 pounds. The vise is mounted on one corner above a fixed (non-steerable) wheel. The other end of the cart has casters and a floor lock. The floor lock is the key, it prevents the cart from moving when it's engaged. Do an internet search for floor lock and it will make sense. BTW, I got this cart at a surplus auction. There is no way I could afford to build one from scratch.