Snow Attachments do you remove toothbar for snow ?

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #1  

glalonde

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD790
Last winter I was back dragging the snow close to the garage with the FEL (I didn't have a toothbar).
This year I've installed a toothbar and also acquired a rear blade.
Since I'm thinking to use the blade to clean close to the garage, I'm not sure I would need to remove the toothbar on the FEL, since the FEL/toothbar would only be used to removed the snowbanks.

Is this feasible ?

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #2  
I take my tooth-bar off for working in the snow. Two bolts remove it and I don't need to be worried about doing damage to the concrete apron once it has been removed. It's also a lot easier with the flat edge of the bucket for back-dragging to accumulate a pile of snow for moving.

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #3  
Unless you're trying to chip into a melted then refrozen pile, you're better off without your toothbar. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mine comes off with just a box end one the nut and a socket on the bolt.

Two little tips here since you're new to the toothbar. Make sure your bolts go from the outside of the bucket in. Otherwise you've created an ankle trap that you WILL run into some day. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Also, make certain that your bolt threads are completely covered by your nuts. That will protect your threads so removing the nuts is easy when it's time to take off your toothbar. You can either use lot of washers as spacers or a second nut as I do.

Good luck with your toothbar. I hope these ideas help you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #4  
Yes, mine comes off for winter too...and frequently during the warm weather if I want to use my clamp on pallet forks. Had it off and back on today, as a matter of fact... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Takes all of about three minutes to take off or put back on...if the wrenches are handy. I use some anti-sieze on the bolts. Mine are 1" shoulder bolts...

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ?
Thanks for the info. I never thought about the possibility of the threads to be damaged. I'll look into covering them either with another nut or use many washers so that the nut is at the end of the bolts.

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #6  
On the toothbar I mounted, I ran the bolts from the inside out to keep them reasonably clean. The dealer did the same thing on the toothbar he mounted on my new tractor. I never thought of them becoming ankle traps, but I suppose now that it has been mentioned... they will someday /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I remove the toothbar for more than winter work, but especially for backdragging gravel, dirt or snow. It works much better than my rear blade that I have shoes on.

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #7  
Doesn't matter much to me which way the bolt goes.....with the nut tightened, it leaves maybe 1/8" of threads anyway. 2-3 mins to take it off for snow work (play) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #8  
I take my toothbar off and bolt on a strip of horse stall mat. It keeps me from damaging the blacktop.
Mark

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #9  
<font color="blue"> "Doesn't matter much to me which way the bolt goes.....with the nut tightened, it leaves maybe 1/8" of threads anyway." </font>

For whatever reason, the bolts that came with mine are long enough to go through the bucket & toothbar and still accommodate two flat washers, a lock washer and a nut and 2/3. I had extra flat washers and nuts on hand so that's the way I went. If I'd had a couple shorter bolts instead, maybe... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ do you remove toothbar for snow ? #10  
The toothbar comes off, and a flat bar goes on. The factory cutting edge on my 302 FEL is welded on. I noticed some wear after using it for snow removal the first Winter. Stumbled onto a piece of flat bar at the shop. I drilled plain holes in the factory cutting edge, and tapped the flat bar. The flat bar is mounted to the bottom of the factory cutting edge. I ground the exposed threaded ends of the bolts flush with the bottom of the flat bar. Works great. With protection from the tooth bar or flat bar, it's unlikely the factory edge will ever need replaced....................chim