Do old license plates have collectors value?

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #11  
Let me know...
I know where there is a whole barn covered in 1932 Maine plates! (actually thinking Etsy store)
There were put on the barn back out and painted back a long time ago. (1935?)

Attachments

• background license plates.jpg
    background license plates.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 51
   / Do old license plates have collectors value? #12  
About 1 year before I bought property, owner had all the classic cars in the "graveyard" towed out. I've found a 66? Mustang fender, and a hood that matches the fender paint, but doesn't have the hood body line of a mustang. There is a 48 Crosby with a stream running through it, but still in solid shape. Here is a VT plate that was in creek near Crosby, as well as a CT plate I found in my old houses barn in CTI do have a Crosby hood badge that looks cool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125_193136_Camera.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_193136_Camera.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
   / Do old license plates have collectors value? #13  
I have a couple. Is there a source that puts value on older license plates?
What the market will bear.

We sold several set of Washington state plates a couple years ago on e-bay. 1958 set was sold to a guy that needed (wanted his plates to match the vehicle year) that year for his 1958 VW bug. A couple hundred dollars.

Like @RjCorazza mentioned above, if there is interest they will get snatched up right away on e-bay.

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #14  
And as Don Lancaster (self-proclaimed PC/Ebay guru) said:

If it sells the first time you list it, then you set the minimum bid too low.

He had a lot of interesting comments in the old Usenet Ebay group. One I remember was he learned the hard way that a real fire engine wasn't worth as much as the model of it you could hold in one hand.

And a sense of humor. His reply when a beginner asked what to sell on Ebay: Ladders. Washers and dryers.

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #15  
A friend gave me a 1970 plate for my 1970 Nova. In Indiana you can run a year of manufacture plate on a classic or antique car, but have to carry a current plate in the vehicle.

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #16  
I started collecting when I washed cars at a dealership every Saturday starting at age 12… goal to have one from all 50 states… I still remember the cars most came from as the out of state plated cars were traded in for Dealership cars.

All plates have value… the top dollar tend to be rare sets that are legal for use in the state that issued them… I’ve seen as much as $500 for the right legal to use set…

Others from a few bucks up.

Last edited:
   / Do old license plates have collectors value? #17  
My mother has a 1913 Indiana plate that my grandfather purchased. That was the first year of plates here. It was made of porcelain and is in mint condition, hanging on the wall.

/ Do old license plates have collectors value?
My state (PA) only requires (1) rear-facing license plate.

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #19  
My mother has a 1913 Indiana plate that my grandfather purchased. That was the first year of plates here. It was made of porcelain and is in mint condition, hanging on the wall.
Inman, that,s interesting. I never knew of any made of porcelain. Would they not be brittle and break ? Any chance of posting a picture of it ?

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #20  
Last edited: