Do old license plates have collectors value?

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #21  
   / Do old license plates have collectors value? #22  
A friend gave me a 1970 plate for my 1970 Nova. In Indiana you can run a year of manufacture plate on a classic or antique car, but have to carry a current plate in the vehicle.
You're not supposed to do that in my state, but some do it anyway, usually an old front plate and a current one on the back. For the most part the cops seem to look the other way.

As far as value goes, like any other collectible item it depends on rarity and condition. A clean, rust-free pre-1950s one might fetch a good price to the right buyer, any newer than that are probably $2 items at flea markets.
I saved one of every plate I've had since I got my first car, that would be 1967. Back then they issued new ones every year, but by the 70s that had cut back. I've had the ones on my 2 regular vehicles since the 90s...just keep transferring them.

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #23  
I started collecting plates when I found a box of them at a garage sale for $15. When I got home and checked them out it was a complete set from the 40's to present. Now I have at least 1 plate for every year from Ohio from 1915 except 1919,'43 and '52. '43 and '52 no plates were issued because of the wars.
Before '15 the plates were porcelain and are very pricey. Plates from the '40's to the '70's are anywhere from $20 to $40 a set if in decent shape. Older ones the cost are all over the place which is why I don't have a '19 yet

Jeff

/ Do old license plates have collectors value? #24  
My state (PA) only requires (1) rear-facing license plate.
Same in Indiana.

Wife and I were at many antique and consignment shops over the weekend. We saw quite a few license plates of many states, years, etc. Anywhere from $2 to $100.

There's probably some collector's guide for license plates out there somewhere.

I have a box of my mother in-law's father's motorcycle plates from 30s-50s. Probably would never part with them. Neat to have around and look at them from time to time. Kids will deal with them after I'm gone. ;)