Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #151  
This thread seems to go on forever.

To the OP:

The consensus is - YES.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #153  

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #154  
Hi everyone, forum newbie here. Recently I moved to a new property, much bigger than my last. However after seeing our neighbors down the street playing with their bx, I'm questioning if we need one (a subcompact)

We're only on 1.5 acres, it's mostly flat. There are some big dips and ruts down the rear end of the property, but nothing extrodinary. We do have a large garden just above that, and a rocky driveway that I'm considering levelling.

We do use a cub cadet xt2 46in, and this is more than adequate for mowing. However I've found it hard to turn with (seriously who in their right mind decided permanent difflock is good for a lawn mower???) And during the rainy season often times the mower will get stuck,or slide around tearing up the grass. Or most likely just bog down due to the water. Meaning mowing is a chore that will take 2+ hours

I'm planning to start a 120M x 20M garden, however this all clay soil so it's necessary to use a large tiller, of which is extremely expensive.

Preferably something to mow with during the wet, so 4wd is very much preffered.

And planning to modify the garden bed/generally move dirt ect.

I'm thinking of a sub compact but would this be the best choice? I have a Massey furgeson gc1705 with a midmount in mind, that's at a very nice price,and a loader is the cost of a new mower. Therefore I'll end up buying the loader for certain with the machine, and thankfully they are cross compatible.or should I just save my money and rent one when necessary? Hopefully with the tractor I'll sell the lawn mower, but I'm not certain yet
If you have hills and ruts and clay soil you absolutely must have 4 WD and chains, in my world view. I had a very hilly property with clay soil and never removed the chains from all four wheels. Even with chains I once slide SIDEWAYS down a slope into my garden. Enjoy your property. Projects will grow over time. Equipment remains what you bought. Good luck.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #155  
Hi everyone, forum newbie here. Recently I moved to a new property, much bigger than my last. However after seeing our neighbors down the street playing with their bx, I'm questioning if we need one (a subcompact)

We're only on 1.5 acres, it's mostly flat. There are some big dips and ruts down the rear end of the property, but nothing extrodinary. We do have a large garden just above that, and a rocky driveway that I'm considering levelling.

We do use a cub cadet xt2 46in, and this is more than adequate for mowing. However I've found it hard to turn with (seriously who in their right mind decided permanent difflock is good for a lawn mower???) And during the rainy season often times the mower will get stuck,or slide around tearing up the grass. Or most likely just bog down due to the water. Meaning mowing is a chore that will take 2+ hours

I'm planning to start a 120M x 20M garden, however this all clay soil so it's necessary to use a large tiller, of which is extremely expensive.

Preferably something to mow with during the wet, so 4wd is very much preffered.

And planning to modify the garden bed/generally move dirt ect.

I'm thinking of a sub compact but would this be the best choice? I have a Massey furgeson gc1705 with a midmount in mind, that's at a very nice price,and a loader is the cost of a new mower. Therefore I'll end up buying the loader for certain with the machine, and thankfully they are cross compatible.or should I just save my money and rent one when necessary? Hopefully with the tractor I'll sell the lawn mower, but I'm not certain yet
I remember when I brought my first subcompact tractor home- which I bought used. My wife gave me a look like I had wasted money and claimed I was “playing” every time I used it.
But after nearly 20 yrs and lots of projects and work completed- She didn’t say anything when I sold my old tractor for what I paid for it and upgraded from the subcompact to the compact tractor- Deere 2032r.
I can assure you that you will find lots if uses aside from the obvious. Including:
1. Storing/moving firewoood. I keep 4 cords of wood in fruit bins and I can move them with the tractor as needed.
2. Unloading/loading heavy things from the truck. Saves your back. I brought home her new 200lb farmhouse kitchen sink and moved it from the truck to the back porch with the tractor. Saved my back!
3. We had a pipe burst on a holiday and I was able to dig 3 feet down for the repair in no time- she had water again in no time! Saved big money and time.
4. We wanted to move a chain link fence 5 feet back- no problem pulling the posts.
5. She comes home with a new tree- it gets planted in a hole fast!
6. Needs solar panels lifted to the roof- use your pallet forks.
7. Have several 300lb landscaping rock’s delivered- move them where you want without help.
8. Need fuel- lift your fueler to the back of the truck and go fill it. Unload the same way!

I could go on and on- but as you age- you will be happy to use the tractor to save your back on small things that you might do with a wheelbarrow and shovel. The big projects speak for themselves. I use my tractor all the time and it really is a help. It allows me to not injure my back and save money/time. Totally worth it.

Buy the next size up from what you think you need now. Pay once, cry once. By the way- I could probably sell my 2018 2032r for near what I paid for it new.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #156  
49B9F130-26B2-4FB2-B602-B49766E1FAAD.jpeg
49B9F130-26B2-4FB2-B602-B49766E1FAAD.jpeg

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #157  
I have an 92 [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]kubota[/AFFILIATE] 5200 42in mower, a 4ft grasshopper a turn and a kioti CS2410 with a 5 ft rear mower and I keep chains on all except the grasshopper which I keep out of wet and steep areas. A tiller is great on the sub compact for the garden.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #158  
A lot of good discussion here. IMHO, probably everybody needs a tractor, but only the serious really want one!

I live on 3+ acres, (1+open, 2- Wooded mixed hardwoods). The soil is heavy clay, with some loam. I have mowed the 1+ acre with a push mower ( 6+hrs) a small Craftsman riding mower (3.5hrs), a Case 446 w/48" deck(2.5hrs), and now my B7300 w/60" MMM (.75hrs). When it is mostly dry it is fine, but If it is wet, it is a nightmare, so I just let it grow. The MMM will cut it back once it dries out. Turf tires work fine most of the time, and I just stay clear when it is really wet. In winter snow, or when working in the woods, I use tire chains.

Would I go back? Never. Once I purchased my B7300 in 2002 (used) with FEL, MMM, bushhog, and snowblower, I never looked back.
So many chores that were manually done are now handled one way or the other with the tractor. Why lift, push, or pull something if you have a tractor that will save you both time and your physical being? As one poster alluded, a tractor is like the power head to a multi-tool. There are so many add-ons that can be had, either new or used. And, as noted in several threads, if you are the only one in the area with a tractor, you will become indispensable. Plus, during a recent state wide power outage, I was one of the few places on my road that had lights and heat, as I had my PTO generator, and the others either had home stand by systems or were farms with PTO generators.

My daughter and her husband, who live 7 miles from me, purchased a piece of property 4 years ago, and this past year purchased an adjoining 7 acres with a pond. It was part of an old apple orchard that is now overgrown and a mess. Their gravel drive is about 500+ foot. They just purchased a JD 3025E with FEL & back blade. He works on the town road crew and is a volunteer fire fighter. My daughter is a working mom with 3 kids. She tends her garden for home use and sales, and raises chickens for eggs to sell.

Both have taken to the tractor like bees to honey. In the few short weeks that they have had it, their driveway is now well graded and there is now decent drainage along side. The land around the pond is now fairly well cleaned up and it is now visible and when they are done, it will have a dry hydrant. They plan to make an area next to it where a fire tanker could back in to load. They are being careful not to disturb some of the natural area around the pond, as in summer, ducks, geese, rabbit, and other wildlife abound. The chickens will soon find that the area around the pond will be a great forage area. They are also going to try to save some of the old apple trees, removing just the dead ones for firewood, as deer and turkey also use the area. There are approximately another 100 acres of old apple orchards on either side of them, so having a somewhat clearer zone in the middle, will make a little wildlife haven. They have a large garden, and now they are looking at a small set of harrows to keep it tilled and smoothed. They are also considering a PTO generator.

Could they get by without a tractor. Sure. Would they want to? Probably not!

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #159  
I have this BX 25 D that replaced a B 2710 with fel only which was to big for an acre but the subcompact is great for driveway cleaning in winter and repair of same.
I don’t mow with it but use a cub cadet for that but all around is an asset to use when ever. Bought it I 2016 and have 530 hrs on now.
1673806432594.jpeg

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #160  
If you use your imagination a tractor can do anything you need to do .

Attachments

• 5ABB6613-CE26-42D3-AFBA-97FFCEB514B1.jpeg
    5ABB6613-CE26-42D3-AFBA-97FFCEB514B1.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 66