Oil & Fuel Do I need to pull the head?

/ Do I need to pull the head? #21  
If you drive a truck with toolboxes and stuff all in it how do they know that you have say 2 new injectors
Long ago we entered Canada in my work truck, a little Datsun pickup with a big toolbox filling 1/3 of the bed. Canada Customs took everything apart even after it was obvious everything in there was tourist luggage, not tools. They must have thought I was immigrating, or maybe smuggling. Far more hassle than I expected.

Early in the days of Ebay most people didn't understand how Canada Customs works. I had a couple of outraged customers who hadn't realized their $8 bid on a slide rule for example, generated customs duties, brokerage fees, etc etc etc raising their cost far above the value of their purchase. I soon changed my listings to 'US sales only - or email me before bidding' to avoid the negative feedback that these PO'd customers were threatening.

/ Do I need to pull the head? #22  
so you have to declare this stuff? HOw do they know? If you dive a truck with toolboxes and stuff all in it how do they know that you have say 2 new injectors in your tool box. I mean dont keep them all boxed up and packing slips. Just put the slips in a pile of paper ditch the box at a gas station and put the injectors in with all your other crap!!

no way they could find stuff like that in my truck!!! Wifes car thats another story.

Now if you have a truck load of snowmobile and quad parts and a back seat full of chlothes that would be hard as well.

You are probably right on the how would they know part. But when you think about it is it really worth all the hassle if you do get caught? For the few dollars you save it isn't worth it. The exception here is the op but I believe he is getting ripped off. Somebody is either making mistakes or thinking here is some easy money.

/ Do I need to pull the head? #23  
Long ago we entered Canada in my work truck, a little Datsun pickup with a big toolbox filling 1/3 of the bed. Canada Customs took everything apart even after it was obvious everything in there was tourist luggage, not tools. They must have thought I was immigrating, or maybe smuggling. Far more hassle than I expected.

Early in the days of Ebay most people didn't understand how Canada Customs works. I had a couple of outraged customers who hadn't realized their $8 bid on a slide rule for example, generated customs duties, brokerage fees, etc etc etc raising their cost far above the value of their purchase. I soon changed my listings to 'US sales only - or email me before bidding' to avoid the negative feedback that these PO'd customers were threatening.

I sell on Ebay (slowed down recently) but i have sold a few items to canada. Bar nuts for a chain saw is one item. I ship them for like $5 or so a pair to anywhere in the US. I also have international shipping for my auctions. Ebay handles it all for me. I just ship it to a shipping center with US postage as anything and then they relable it and use the extra shipping money the buyer paid (i never see this money) and pacage it or whatever to send it to canada or elsewhere. A set of bar nuts i think ended up costing them like $12-20 if i remember right!!! They must of really been way out somewhere to not be able to find Husqvarna bar nuts up there.

I also sold a dip stick tube for a Techumseh 5hp engine or so. I know there out of business but many NOS parts still exist. THis was a motor that i parted out. I think they ended up paying like $36 for the used but perfect condition tube stick and oring. Which was more than i could of bought a NOS part off of ebay listed right next to my part. I listed mine about half of what the new one costs. It blows my mind the stuff i have sold and the prices internationals pay!!!!:eek:

/ Do I need to pull the head? #24  

I sell on Ebay (slowed down recently) but i have sold a few items to canada. Bar nuts for a chain saw is one item. I ship them for like $5 or so a pair to anywhere in the US. I also have international shipping for my auctions. Ebay handles it all for me. I just ship it to a shipping center with US postage as anything and then they relable it and use the extra shipping money the buyer paid (i never see this money) and pacage it or whatever to send it to canada or elsewhere. A set of bar nuts i think ended up costing them like $12-20 if i remember right!!! They must of really been way out somewhere to not be able to find Husqvarna bar nuts up there.

I also sold a dip stick tube for a Techumseh 5hp engine or so. I know there out of business but many NOS parts still exist. THis was a motor that i parted out. I think they ended up paying like $36 for the used but perfect condition tube stick and oring. Which was more than i could of bought a NOS part off of ebay listed right next to my part. I listed mine about half of what the new one costs. It blows my mind the stuff i have sold and the prices internationals pay!!!!:eek:

/ Do I need to pull the head?
Funny, because if my wife and I have stayed in the US for 48+ hours, I can bring back about $700 duty free. Even if I only drive down and pick up parts I can't find in Canada, most of the time they will waive the duty. Or like mentioned by Clemsenfor, if I just toss them in a 'travel toolbox', chances are they won't even notice them. I talked to my son in WA, and he's going to repack the parts and send via US post, as used parts, so should be no issue for me this time. If we hadn't just had a dump of 12" of snow & still having 2 months of winter left, I would just wait til spring, but at $100/pop for snow plowing, cheaper in the long run to fix my Yanmar now, even with the extra headaches.

Besides I'm just chompin at the bit to go out and play on my newest toy...

/ Do I need to pull the head? #26  
we are lucky here in america that things are so cheap compared to other areas!!! I look at what others in europe say they pay for the same things we get here out of china!!!!:eek: and theres is china made too!!!!