Do I need a general contractor to build a house?

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #111  
I saw a post the other day somewhat similar, guy said,, we built our own house the only things we hired out was the excavating, foundation, framing, insulation, the roof, the hvac, the wire and the pipe. Oh, and the drywall,,, other than that we did it all ourselves.
Wonder when hanging some curtains became building a house?

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #112  
Yes, all general contrators are highly organized and poster children for effeciency.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #113  
I know quite a few people "down the shore" who had no other choice due to "Sandy". All but one used a modular home builder. I got a ballpark price from a modular builder for $400,000 for 2,200 square feet, and that was without upgrades. For 3,000 sq ft it was over $500,000. It did include demo which was around $15,000. Also these are houses built on pilings. Personally I think it is a wise move. A lot of people do a major renovation on their existing home and end up spending as much or more than a tear down and rebuild.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #114  
If i am gonna build it myself what is it i need the subs for again?

Exactly. Designing and building our own house - with the help of subs and a friendly carpenter who helped guide us - well, it was one of the most exciting, exhausting, and enjoyable things we've ever done.

I think we saved money, too. But that turned out to be the least of the benefits.
rScotty

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #115  
I saw a post the other day somewhat similar, guy said,, we built our own house the only things we hired out was the excavating, foundation, framing, insulation, the roof, the hvac, the wire and the pipe. Oh, and the drywall,,, other than that we did it all ourselves.
Wonder when hanging some curtains became building a house?
;) But, what you just described is the GC's job....

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #116  
"

Do I need a general contractor to build a house?"​

NO, but you sure need to know what you are doing plus know all the local bylaws.
Also need to to know drafting to prepare those plans for approval.
Then how to comply with the ever raising local requirements that can change before you know it.
Some regions look at soil erosion, others look at set backs and some require surveyed set backs from all local septic and well installations.
Heck some demand soil compaction or perk tests.
YES, DIY is possible but do a lot of homework B4 you tackle it.

Not recently, but I've been there and done that.
It is a challenge.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #117  
;) But, what you just described is the GC's job....
They said they built their own house except for that work,,, seems all they really did was hang a couple curtains.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #118  
I've talked to some people who said they had a custom home. After a few questions, I found out that they picked one of the builder's stock plans and got to chose the paint colors and whether the exterior had some lick 'n stick stone on it. Not my definition of "custom home".

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #119  
I am recently retired. I have done my own repairs or upgrades in regards to electrical and plumbing over the years.
I can do basic carpentry and have the tools to build anything.
I have project management experience in the manufacturing world.

I recently bought an IRC 0016 book online to review and have house drawings approved with an architect's stamp.

My son recently had a house built and says that he became his own contractor as he went there daily to see the work and got up to speed by asking the builders questions. I know contractors manage more than just overseeing the work but I am wondering if it's necessary.

I know enough about carpentry, electricity, and plumbing but I don't feel I know enough about footers, foundation, and waterproofing (basement) to do this on my own.
The foundation scares me a bit. i know a big box company has a reputation for cutting corners but I don't know the details. I am considering hiring a qualified contractor to oversee this up to the point where the concrete is all poured and is ready for framing.

I can afford it but I will also be twiddling my thumbs watching others do the work if I hire this out.

Hoping others here can give some advice.

It sounds like you have the basic skills required in a GC. in fact more than most. If you have a house design you like and have drawings approved by an architect you are already way ahead. The big thing is to be honest with yourself about how you get along with people doing work for you. Do you get frustrated when things don't work out or are you the kind of guy who can figure out how to make it work?
Is your auto mechanic glad to see you when you show up in the middle of a job? How do people like taking "suggestions" from you? Or working with you? And how comfortable are you with explaining just what you want? How are you at handling mistakes? How about when that mistake just cost you a thousand bucks?

I'm guessing that most of us already know those answers. So down deep inside you already know if you will make a good GC.

If you decide to be your own GC, know that the really good & professional foundation builders tend to bid a job as a complete package that includes them providing their own foundation GC or foreman whose specialty is all the things involved in getting a foundation right. Particularly when it involves a basement.

You just have to do is show him the plans & tell him exactly what you want. Be specific. For every sub, you have to make sure both of you know and agree whether it is cost, time, or craftsmanship that matters most to you.

We found that being your own GC and working along with the subs was a great adventure....hard work but lots of fun.
Good luck,
rScotty

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #120  
They said they built their own house except for that work,,, seems all they really did was hang a couple curtains.
If they were their own GC and didn't have a builder hired I can assure you they had their hands full and I would consider them the builder.

I was my own GC
Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder

I subbed out a lot of the work but oversaw and scheduled everything. If I didn't build the house who would you consider the builder? I think most people greatly underestimate how much work a good GC does.